Accessing the files which are in other than Documents Folder without using File Picker

Question

• Hi,

Can we Read/Access the files which  other than Documents Folder  without using File Picker in Windows8 .  For Example,I have a folder in Drive(E:\\Sample\\) Can I Access the Files(or contents) in that particular folder in that E:/ drive. Can you please provide the samples for this.

Any help highly appreciable.

Thanks,
    Nagarjuna

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:41 AM

Answers

• The short answer is no, this is not allowed in a Win8 app.  I don't think you can even ask for the capability.  As long as the user picks something with the FilePicker, that's fair game because they are making the choice and not you.  If I'm wrong about this I would also be interested in knowing how.

You can read/write files in local storage for your app, but doesn't sound like that is what you are looking for.

There is the Enterprise Authentication capability that would allow you to access internal/intranet resources that requires domain credentials.  This is intended to be used in a line of business app, but in that case you could likely access files on a network share or similar.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:33 PM

All replies

• The short answer is no, this is not allowed in a Win8 app.  I don't think you can even ask for the capability.  As long as the user picks something with the FilePicker, that's fair game because they are making the choice and not you.  If I'm wrong about this I would also be interested in knowing how.

You can read/write files in local storage for your app, but doesn't sound like that is what you are looking for.

There is the Enterprise Authentication capability that would allow you to access internal/intranet resources that requires domain credentials.  This is intended to be used in a line of business app, but in that case you could likely access files on a network share or similar.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:33 PM
  • Thank you very much for your information..
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:31 AM