space requirements for mirrored server in a Terabyte environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are migrating all dbs to SQL2005 one by one and now planning for a database mirroring. I would like to know the following:

1. My database(one main production) size on the primary is around 1TB. So having said that we are goin to have a db mirroring,  do i need to have the same hardware requirements on the mirror also?? do i need 1TB space on the mirror server also? is there anyway it can use the same hardware that primary is using?

2. For the high availability configuration in mirroring, we are prefering to have a witness server too. Does the mirror server need to have same h/w configuration as the primary(64 bit, AWE, etc). Can the witness be a 32bit, 4 Gigs RAM?

Could anyone please answer the above and that will be very helpful. This is a bit urgent.

thks,

Mani

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 7:18 PM

All replies

• 1. For the purpose of high availability there is no meaning of using (share) the current hardware in thsi regard. For this purpose you must deviate the mirror from principal, for the smaller size of database its not aproblem when having additional backup capability for the databases.

2. Witness you need not to have similar configuration of Principal or Mirror, where you can keep the mirror on a normal server/desktop with SQLexpress edition. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/dbmirfaq.mspx fyi.

• Proposed as answer by XtendedLearner Wednesday, April 6, 2016 3:22 PM
    Thursday, December 21, 2006 2:40 PM
  •  

Thank you Satya!

//M

Monday, January 15, 2007 2:44 PM