none
Performance Difference on Compiled Executable RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application that have intense query to SQL Server database utilising SQLDataReader. The problem when built and executed on Windows 10 64 bit on two platforms, the performance differ greatly.

When built AMD A10-5745M APU with Radeton(tm) HD Graphics (4 CPUS), the application run slowly on every Windows hosts. But when compiled with Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200M CPU @2.50GHz (4 Logical CPUS), it runs very fast on every Windows host.

Both are compiled with .NET framework 4.5.2 using Visual Studio Community 15 Update 2. 

Can anyone please explain how can I have similar behavior despite on which environment I'm working on? Thanks!

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 11:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Feris (LightoraCloud),

Actually, this issue more related to your Hardware.

From my side, I might be biased, but I have always had better luck with the lifespan of Intel CPUs.  AMD was a serious competitor before, but their quality has dropped over the years and they don't seem to be keeping up in the speed/features departments. You can also check AMD A10-5745M vs Intel Core i5-4200U for more details.

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best regards,

Kristin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Kristin Xie Thursday, October 27, 2016 3:08 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Kristin Xie Tuesday, November 8, 2016 1:09 AM
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 3:07 AM
  • Hi Kristin,

Does this mean the compilation process that .NET do depend on hardware? Since the binary produced also run badly on Intel processor.

Regards,

Feris

Thursday, October 27, 2016 4:13 PM
  • Hi Kristin,

Does this mean the compilation process that .NET do depend on hardware? Since the binary produced also run badly on Intel processor.

Regards,

Feris

@Feris

The actual hardware requirements will depend on the anticipated workload of the application much more than what framework or what framework version is used.

Here is the link that provides the hardware, operating system, and software requirements for .NET Framework System

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8z6watww(v=vs.110).aspx

Best  regards,

Kristin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 28, 2016 1:46 AM