TextWindow Hide Version 0.4 RRS feed

• Question

• I was playing around with the GraphicsWindow to see if it really would hide and it works great in version 0.4!  Then I thought I would see what the TextWindow would do.  With it, if you use the hide function it will hide the text, but it doesn't really hide the window.  My question is:  "Is this the way the TextWindow hide function is supposed to work?  I thought before that it actually would hide the window, but I'm not sure and I just don't want to reload the older version to find out.  Also, if it is really supposed to work this way why wouldn't you want it to actually hide the window?

JR
    Friday, April 17, 2009 2:03 PM
    Answerer

Answers

• I still have v0.3.1. The windows are shown and hidden correctly, but there is the side effect of clearing the TextWindow when it is hidden and then shown. The GraphicsWindow changes are retained. Run the code below and see if it's the same for you.

GraphicsWindow.Show()
    Program.Delay(2000)
    TextWindow.Show()
    Program.Delay(2000)
    TextWindow.WriteLine("This is some text.")
    Program.Delay(2000)
    GraphicsWindow.BackgroundColor = "Yellow"
    GraphicsWindow.DrawRectangle(100,50,30,70)
    Program.Delay(2000)
    TextWindow.Hide()
    Program.Delay(2000)
    GraphicsWindow.Hide()
    Program.Delay(2000)
    TextWindow.Show()
    Program.Delay(2000)
    GraphicsWindow.Show()
    Program.Delay(2000)
    Program.End()

Friday, April 17, 2009 5:25 PM

All replies

• With it, if you use the hide function it will hide the text, but it doesn't really hide the window. 
    Not reproducible on my WinXP SP3 (The whole window is hided). But the text is cleared with the Clear function...

What is your OS ?
    Fremy - Developer in VB.NET, C# and JScript ... - Feel free to try my extension
    Friday, April 17, 2009 2:13 PM
  • I still have v0.3.1. The windows are shown and hidden correctly, but there is the side effect of clearing the TextWindow when it is hidden and then shown. The GraphicsWindow changes are retained. Run the code below and see if it's the same for you.

GraphicsWindow.Show()
    Program.Delay(2000)
    TextWindow.Show()
    Program.Delay(2000)
    TextWindow.WriteLine("This is some text.")
    Program.Delay(2000)
    GraphicsWindow.BackgroundColor = "Yellow"
    GraphicsWindow.DrawRectangle(100,50,30,70)
    Program.Delay(2000)
    TextWindow.Hide()
    Program.Delay(2000)
    GraphicsWindow.Hide()
    Program.Delay(2000)
    TextWindow.Show()
    Program.Delay(2000)
    GraphicsWindow.Show()
    Program.Delay(2000)
    Program.End()

Friday, April 17, 2009 5:25 PM
    Confirmed on v0.4

Fremy - Developer in VB.NET, C# and JScript ... - Feel free to try my extension
    Friday, April 17, 2009 7:53 PM
  • I tried Stendec's code and it does work the same as previously.  He mentioned the side effect of clearing the textwindow after it is hidden and brought back up and that is what I was seeing.  But then to me that doesn't make sense.  Also, if I hide the textwindow and then want to put some text in it and then later on want to show the window it doesn't work because if you put text in it the window it shows right away.  Wouldn't it be better if the textwindow worked just like the graphics window now works in version 0.4?  With the Graphics window I can hide it with it's contents, add stuff to it and then show it again.  It has the original contents plus what was added while it was hidden.  That's the way I would think the textwindow should work.

Thanks to Stendec and FremyCompany for your help.

JR 
    Friday, April 17, 2009 10:17 PM
    Answerer