Formatted partition and now get "Setup is unable to create a new system partiton or locate an existing system partition"

Question

• hi

i had windows 7 then unfortuinatly i installed windows 8 preview, a week later tried unistalling the windows and i couldnt, so i tried changing some of the options in administrator then i shut down later that night i turned back on then and it wouldnt work i tried alot of things and it still wouldnt work, i formatted the partition that i in installed the windows in and tried to install win7 again and, i keep gettin and error (setup is unable to create a new system partiton or locate an existing system partition. see the log files for more information.) i cant access or locate or even fix this step and i dont know any other way to fix this major problem. so couldnt someone please help

it would be so appriciatated

email me or ask for more info please and thanks,

Original Title: windows 8 preview problem
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:09 PM

All replies

• I had the same problem, but I've found out why it was doing that.   I am assuming you are installing your OS via usb drive.   What happens is that windows installer had prolly loaded the files in your other drives such as SD Cards you left in your computer.   The installation should go through after you detach all the other drives other than your bootable usb.  Hope this helps.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 9:03 AM
  • I read that setting the USB as first device in boot up also confuses Windows so set your HDD as first and then use the boot menu to  choose your USB if that's the case, I've followed those instructions and had success.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 9:47 AM
  • it helped me. thanks!
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 4:21 AM