Simple change to make windows 8 metro a better multitasker.

General discussion

• Sliding from the left to find the correct running application is a little bit like shuffling a deck of cards to find the right one.  It works but might not be as refined as it could.  I find this the biggest draw back versus the traditional desktop.  So in oder to make multi tasking better I have one small change that would make a huge difference.  Instead of just last used thumbnail, have all the thumbnails appear on the left stacked vertically similar to tabs on metro ie except vertical instead of horizontal.  We could then just slide our finger to the correct running app and go straight there instead of "shuffling" through all the apps.  This has the potential to be more power efficient too assuming apps have to be "rehydrated" when they are shuffled to as you would go directly to the one you want without waking the others from thier slumber.  What does everybody think? 
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:39 AM

All replies

• I agree that this needs to be addressed but my idea would to simply draw your finger from left to right (or vice versa) to switch between apps. To save resources you can use an image rather than loading the whole app, the app only loads when you remove your finger or release the mouse. This would be similar the iPhone mechanism
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:22 AM
  • You have some points. However, you'll still get all the thumbnails if you snap the non-Metro UI. Open multiple Windows Explorer windows, switch to Metro and then snap Metro by clicking the last opened Windows Explorer's thumbnails. All of your Windows Explorer windows will appear as a stack of large thumbnails.

You are suggesting to picking specific thumbnail before the snap. Currently you will be able to do what you want but AFTER the snap. Does not look a big difference. Am I missing something?

I think sticking to a single thumbnail really mitigates the clutter because it would be otherwise hard to pick the right window looking at the minimalistic screenshot.

That said, I am not against your suggestion.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:09 AM