File not Found Error RRS feed

• Question

• I am using wss 3.0 with custom master page and a number of custom webaprts across the site. But when i click the "View All Site Content" link i get the following error(this has not always been the case):

File Not Found.  at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) 
      at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy) 
      at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy) 
      at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) 
      at System.Web.Hosting.MapPathBasedVirtualFile.Open() 
      at System.Web.UI.Control.OpenFileAndGetDependency(VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath, CacheDependency& dependency) 
      at System.Web.UI.WebControls.XmlDataSource.GetReader(String path, String content, CacheDependency& cacheDependency) 
      at System.Web.UI.WebControls.XmlDataSource.PopulateXmlDocument(XmlDocument document, CacheDependency& dataCacheDependency, CacheDependency& transformCacheDependency) 
      at System.Web.UI.WebControls.XmlDataSource.GetXmlDocument() 
      at System.Web.UI.WebControls.XmlHierarchicalDataSourceView.Select() 
      at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Menu.DataBindItem(MenuItem item) 
      at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Menu.PerformDataBinding() 
      at System.Web.UI.WebControls.HierarchicalDataBoundControl.PerformSelect() 
      at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.EnsureDataBound() 
      at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Menu.EnsureDataBound() 
      at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Menu.OnPreRender(EventArgs e, Boolean registerScript) 
      at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.AspMenu.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) 
      at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() 
      at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) 

Everything else seems to be working well. And this only happens on the production machine and not the dev box and attempts to remotely debug has failed so far.

My dev box is a 32 Bit and my production box is 64 Bit and i compile using Mixed Mode on the dev machine.

Can anyone please help.

Thanks in Advance.

DM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:11 AM

All replies

• Does the masterpage have any dependencies ie custom assemblies, user controls etc?  File not found means something is missing.
    My SharePoint Blog - http://www.davehunter.co.uk/blog
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:18 PM
  • Does the masterpage have any dependencies ie custom assemblies, user controls etc?  File not found means something is missing.
    My SharePoint Blog - http://www.davehunter.co.uk/blog

Quick way of finding what is missing, you could run FireBug or Fiddler on the box.  You might see a File Not found error with some information about a control/webpart/images..

Regards

Ranga

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:22 PM
  • Thanks Dave

The master does have dependencies but these(custom dependencies) are all deployed to the GAC so its highly unlikely to be the issue.

DM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:16 AM
  • Thanks Ranga,

I use Fiddler and it gives me the same error message and where it has "404 NOT FOUND" marked in red is on "favicon.ico" which i wouldnt expect to be the problem.

DM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:19 AM
  • Update:

On gut feeling :-) i went and removed this section

<SharePoint:AspMenu
    					id="QuickLaunchMenu"
    					DataSourceId="QuickLaunchSiteMap"
    					runat="server"
    					Orientation="Vertical"
    					StaticDisplayLevels="2"
    					ItemWrap="true"
    					MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels="0"
    					StaticSubMenuIndent="0"
    					SkipLinkText=""
    					>
    					<LevelMenuItemStyles>
    						<asp:MenuItemStyle CssClass="ms-navheader"/>
    						<asp:MenuItemStyle CssClass="ms-navitem"/>
    					</LevelMenuItemStyles>
    					<LevelSubMenuStyles>
    						<asp:SubMenuStyle CssClass="ms-navSubMenu1"/>
    						<asp:SubMenuStyle CssClass="ms-navSubMenu2"/>
    					</LevelSubMenuStyles>
    					<LevelSelectedStyles>
    						<asp:MenuItemStyle CssClass="ms-selectednavheader"/>
    						<asp:MenuItemStyle CssClass="ms-selectednav"/>
    					</LevelSelectedStyles>
    				</SharePoint:AspMenu>

from the "viewlsts.aspx" since thats the page "view all site content" point to and funny enough now i can access "View All Site Content" albeit without the "Lists" so u have everything inplace but the Lists are not shown on the Lists are not listed on "View All Site Content". My suspicion is that there is a list which is causing this error and its probably a permissions issue (But i have Administrator permissions) and nothing to do with a file in particular.

Hope this shed some light and if anyone can help please.

Thanks you

DM
    • Edited by Dzinga Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:34 AM I know that changes to viewlst.aspx are not supported since its in the Hive
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:26 AM
  • Update:

I am also encountering the same error when i got to any lists settings and click on "Permissions for this list" the other limnks on the same page works fine.

Thanks

DM

• Edited by Dzinga Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:33 AM "I am also encountering the smae error when i got to any lists settings and click on "Permissions for this list " linked to my wss 3.0
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:32 AM