General question about starter kits RRS feed

• Question

• User1484644233 posted

Hello

I am new to the asp.net. I use asp.net with vb. I just started building a business application. 

Even though I can deal with the coding, I am not good with design of the web site (as bad as my english lol. )

Now, I see there are starter kits that are supported with asp.net web developers and others like orchard cms application. 

So, I am wondering, is it a good idea to work with one of these starter kits to have a design and code foundation. Then on top of these CMS like applications I have to build my application. 

I hope I was clear with my question. Ultimately I don't want to deal with web site design except coding the application side of it. 

Thanks in advance. 

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:36 PM

Answers

• User1958125286 posted

Hi, 

As you mentioned about couple of CMS tools which are in the market open source and paid make your life really easy as a developer. 

Coming to your basic question about the design you should be good if you know CSS to an extent where you want to change and image color and some minor things.. 

You might want to look into Umbraco, Orchard, DNN and other CMS and also Visual Studio now comes with a default template. Just play around with that you will be a Pro in design as you are already good at developement :) 

Thanks.. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:53 PM

All replies

• User1958125286 posted

Hi, 

As you mentioned about couple of CMS tools which are in the market open source and paid make your life really easy as a developer. 

Coming to your basic question about the design you should be good if you know CSS to an extent where you want to change and image color and some minor things.. 

You might want to look into Umbraco, Orchard, DNN and other CMS and also Visual Studio now comes with a default template. Just play around with that you will be a Pro in design as you are already good at developement :) 

Thanks.. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:53 PM
  • User1484644233 posted

Thanks. I can image there might be some problem in the future when I need to change the CMS.

Because I am slow at learning, I don't want to keep studying new CMS. Because posibility of future editing of CMS code, I think I am going continue developing and designing the web pages myself.

Thanks for your comment.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:12 PM