using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
    using System.Data;
    using System.Data.OleDb;
    using System.Text;

namespace test
    {
        public partial class _Default : System.Web.UI.Page
        {
            protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {

}

protected void Button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                OleDbConnection conn = new OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" + "Data Source=C:\mohammad\p\web_dev\customer.mdb");
                conn.Open();
                OleDbCommand cmd = new OleDbCommand();
                cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();

cmd.CommandText = ("INSERT INTO customer VALUES(name,1stadd,2ndadd,pcode,country,tel,e-mail");
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@name", TextBox1.Text);
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@1stadd", TextBox2.Text);
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@2ndadd", TextBox3.Text);
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@pcode", TextBox4.Text);
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@country", TextBox5);
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@tel", TextBox6.Text);
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@e-mail", TextBox7.Text);

conn.Close();
            }
        }
    }

Hi,

I am a asp.net learner. I have got seven textbox and a button on the page. I should be able to write text in the textboxes and save them in access database. I can run it OK, but when I write something in the texboxes and try to save it I get the following error.

'OleDbException was unhelded by user code'

also the following,

'Could not find file C:\mohammad\p\web_dev\customer.mbd'

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:01 AM

All replies

• User1759999623 posted

Try this:

OleDbConnection conn = new OleDbConnection(@"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\mohammad\p\web_dev\customer.mdb");

I believe that your problem is likely cause by having slashes ("\") which is used in escape sequences in your string but not accounting for them by using the "@" symbol in front of the string to declare that the string should be read literally and without escape sequences.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:31 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

You Execute the query (ExecuteNonQuery), before specifying the CommandText and Parameters! Also, you didn't set the connection property of the Command. And you better put the database in the App_Data folder:

http://www.mikesdotnetting.com/Article/78/AccessDataSource-SqlDataSource-and-connecting-to-Access-databases-in-ASP.NET
    http://www.mikesdotnetting.com/Article/26/Parameter-Queries-in-ASP.NET-with-MS-Access

Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:34 AM
  • User726699146 posted

Thanks very much to both of you. The initial problem is gone and I have got something new now. @hans v - as you suggested I tried to use the 'ExecuteNonQuery' after specifying the Commandtext and Parameters. But when I run it I get the message 'ExecuteNonQuery - connection property has not been initialized'.  So I un - comment ' cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();' And after that nothing actually being inserted into the data table. I have put the data base in the app_data folder now but no luck.

Thanks in advance again.

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Web;
    using System.Web.UI;
    using System.Data;
    using System.Data.OleDb;
    using System.Text;

namespace test
    {
        {
            {

}

{
                OleDbConnection conn = new OleDbConnection(@"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\mohammad\p\web_dev\customer.mdb");  
                conn.Open();

cmd.CommandText = ("INSERT INTO customer VALUES(name,1stadd,2ndadd,pcode,country,tel,e-mail");
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@name", TextBox1.Text);
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@1stadd", TextBox2.Text);
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@2ndadd", TextBox3.Text);
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@pcode", TextBox4.Text);
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@country", TextBox5);
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@tel", TextBox6.Text);
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@e-mail", TextBox7.Text);

//cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();
                conn.Close();
                Response.Redirect("update.aspx");
            }
        }
    }

Friday, April 16, 2010 8:40 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

@hans v - as you suggested I tried to use the 'ExecuteNonQuery' after specifying the Commandtext and Parameters. But when I run it I get the message 'ExecuteNonQuery - connection property has not been initialized'. 

That wasn't my only remark!

Also, you didn't set the connection property of the Command.

The command doesn't know which connection to use!

conn.Open();
    cmd.Connection = conn;
    cmd.CommandText = ("INSERT INTO customer VALUES (@name,@1stadd,@2ndadd,@pcode,@country,@tel,@email");

Read the articles I refered earlier. They will learn you a better syntax (using....)

Friday, April 16, 2010 8:57 AM
  • User1759999623 posted

Try this:

StringBuilder sbCommand = new StringBuilder();

sbCommand.Append("INSERT INTO customer VALUES";
    sbCommand.Append("(" + TextBox1.Text + ", ");
    sbCommand.Append(TextBox1.Text + ", ");
    sbCommand.Append(TextBox2.Text + ", ");
    sbCommand.Append(TextBox3.Text + ", ");
    sbCommand.Append(TextBox4.Text + ", ");
    sbCommand.Append(TextBox5.Text + ", ");
    sbCommand.Append(TextBox6.Text + ", ");
    sbCommand.Append(TextBox7.Text + ")");

cmd.CommandText = sbCommand.ToString()
    cmd.Connection = conn;
    cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();

Friday, April 16, 2010 9:08 AM
  • User-513735053 posted

OleDbCommand cmd = new OleDbCommand();   

cmd.CommandText = ("INSERT INTO customer VALUES(name,1stadd,2ndadd,pcode,country,tel,e-mail");  

cmd.Connection= conn;

Friday, April 16, 2010 9:12 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

Try this:

Did you ever hear of SQL injection?

http://www.mikesdotnetting.com/Article/113/Preventing-SQL-Injection-in-ASP.NET

That's why you should NOT concatenate SQL strings, but always us parameterized queries:

http://www.mikesdotnetting.com/Article/26/Parameter-Queries-in-ASP.NET-with-MS-Access

Also, I don't see any reason why this would solve the error! Even worse, because most, if not all values are strings, it will cause more errors because you forgot the quotes, which you don't have to worry about when using parameterized queries....

Friday, April 16, 2010 9:15 AM
  • User1759999623 posted

Try this:

Did you ever hear of SQL injection?

http://www.mikesdotnetting.com/Article/113/Preventing-SQL-Injection-in-ASP.NET

That's why you should NOT concatenate SQL strings, but always us parameterized queries:

Also, I don; t see any reason why this would solve the error! Even worse, because most, if not all values are strings, it will cause more errors because you forgot the quotes, whoch you don; t have to worry about when using parameterized queries....

Yes, I have, but you have to walk before you can crawl.  Once he has it working, then he can address issues like SQL injection.  Note that the AddWithValue method calls that he is using can also be a potential SQL injection problem.

This is a learning process, not a production site.

Friday, April 16, 2010 9:19 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

This is a learning process, not a production site.

And telling somebody, who's already using parameterized queries, to start concatenate SQL strings is a good learning process? I think the learning curve should be to learn good coding practices, and when you encounter error messages, to try to understand what could cause this particular message instead of recommending bad coding practices, which not only not solve the error, but cause even more errors which need to be fixed....

Bad habits are very hard to overcome...

Note that the AddWithValue method calls that he is using can also be a potential SQL injection problem.

Are you really sure you understand SQL injection? Please explain how using the AddWIthValue method can be 'a potential SQL injection problem'?

Friday, April 16, 2010 9:27 AM
  • User1759999623 posted

Okay, so do this instead:

{   
       conn.Open();

cmd.CommandText = "INSERT INTO customer (name,1stadd,2ndadd,pcode,country,tel,e-mail) VALUES(?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)";
       cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("name", Server.HtmlEncode(TextBox1.Text));
       cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("1stadd", Server.HtmlEncode(TextBox2.Text));
       cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("2ndadd", Server.HtmlEncode(TextBox3.Text));
       cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("pcode", Server.HtmlEncode(TextBox4.Text)); 
       cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("country", Server.HtmlEncode(TextBox5.Text));
       cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("tel", Server.HtmlEncode(TextBox6.Text));
       cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("e-mail", Server.HtmlEncode(TextBox7.Text));

cmd.Connection = conn;
       cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();
       conn.Close();
    }

Friday, April 16, 2010 10:00 AM
  • User1759999623 posted

Are you really sure you understand SQL injection? Please explain how using the AddWIthValue method can be 'a potential SQL injection problem'?

Hans,

Any unencoding value from a TextBox can potentially be a Javascript that may not be validated from the page itself if validation is turned off.  So, I included HtmlEncode in my previous post to cover all bases.

Friday, April 16, 2010 10:04 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

Any unencoding value from a TextBox can potentially be a Javascript that may not be validated from the page itself if validation is turned off

That's not SQL injection! However, you're right, User input needs to be validated against any malicious HTML input! But by default, ValidateRequest is set to True in ASP.NET, so any input is already checked and an error will occur....

Friday, April 16, 2010 10:36 AM
  • User726699146 posted

Thanks for your help. I have been doing some reading in the meantime as you have posted @hans. Some bit I undestand and some I didn't Embarassed. I still have a bit problem undestanding the SQL injection thing. However I thing I got everything right this time according to the rule but it still doesn't workFrown. This time it shows 'syntax error in INSERT INTO command'. And I get a file called customer.ldb - do you know what is that mean? Here are my codes againFrown.

using System;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Web;
    using System.Web.UI;
    using System.Data;
    using System.Data.OleDb;
    using System.Text;

namespace test
    {
        {
            {

}

{
                conn.Open();
                cmd.Connection = conn;

cmd.CommandText = ("INSERT INTO customer (name,1stadd,2ndadd,pcode,country,tel,e-mail) VALUES(@name,@1stadd,@2ndadd,@pcode,@country,@tel,@e-mail) ");
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("name", TextBox1.Text);
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("1stadd", TextBox2.Text);
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("2ndadd", TextBox3.Text);
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("pcode", TextBox4.Text);
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("country", TextBox5);
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("tel", TextBox6.Text);
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("e-mail", TextBox7.Text);

cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();
                conn.Close();
            }
        }
    }

@chris...If I dont use the marker (?) it shoudn't be a problem i guess! also I don't have to validate the input as well....do I?

Thanks again.

Monday, April 19, 2010 9:01 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

This time it shows 'syntax error in INSERT INTO command'

When you've field (or table) names with - (like e-mail), you need to put brackets around them:

cmd.CommandText = ("INSERT INTO customer (name,1stadd,2ndadd,pcode,country,tel,[e-mail]) VALUES (@name,@1stadd,@2ndadd,@pcode,@country,@tel,@e-mail) ");

And I get a file called customer.ldb - do you know what is that mean?

When you connect to an Access Database, and you Open the connection, the ldb file is created. When the connection is closed properly, the ldb will be remove. But because you encounter an errro while the connection is open (in line 39), the connection won; t be closed properly because you didn't put the code in a try catch block. To prevent that the connection will not be closed properly, you better use the 'using syntax' that Mike is using in his article about parameterized queries. He also explains there why you should use this.

@chris...If I dont use the marker (?) it shoudn't be a problem i guess!

It doesn't matter if you're using questionmarks or named parameters. The only difference is that every questionmark is treated like a new parameter, while named parameters can be used multiple times in a query but only need to specified once, in the order they first appear in the query....

also I don't have to validate the input as well....do I?

If you let the page validaterequest property be true, you don't need to validate the input. But be aware that when somebody tries to enter some malicious script tags, the page will throw an error which you should catch for a better user experience. So you could those the set validaterequest to false, but then you need to validate (HTMLencode) the code yourself

Monday, April 19, 2010 9:29 AM
  • User726699146 posted

Still no luck....I get 'No value given for one or more required parameter' error nowFrown. Excuse my little knoledge - do I have to convert the parameter some how?...if I do, how I am going to do that!....

cmd.CommandText = ("INSERT INTO customer (name,1stadd,2ndadd,code,country,tel,[e-mail]) VALUES(@name,@1stadd,@2ndadd,@pcode,@country,@tel,@e-mail) ");

ThanksFrown

Monday, April 19, 2010 12:09 PM
  • User-1199946673 posted

....I get 'No value given for one or more required parameter' error nowFrown

This error occurs when you didn't specify one or more of the parameters, or.....

When you mispelled a fieldname, i nthis case I think you mispelled code instead of pcode?

INSERT INTO customer (name,1stadd,2ndadd,pcode,country,tel,[e-mail]) VALUES (@name,@1stadd,@2ndadd,@pcode,@country,@tel,@e-mail)

Monday, April 19, 2010 3:22 PM
  • User726699146 posted

Thanks for the reply again. I don't know what I am doing wrong. All the spellings are OK now as I have checked it many times. I have assigned the avallues of each parameter. Doesn't make sence why it doesn't work then. Please help meCry.

cmd.CommandText = ("INSERT INTO customer (name,1stadd,2ndadd,pcode,country,tel,[e-mail]) VALUES(@name,@1stadd,@2ndadd,@pcode,@country,@tel,@e-mail) ");

cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("name",TextBox1.Text);
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("[e-mail]", TextBox7.Text);

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 7:47 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

And what error do you get now? 

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 7:55 AM
  • User1759999623 posted

Drop the brackets around "e-mail".  These should be necessary since you have no spaces in the field name. 

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:11 AM
  • User726699146 posted

Still the same error - 'No value given for one or more required parameters' . @Chris - I tryied everything, with the bracket without the bracket with no luck at all.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:15 AM
  • User1759999623 posted

Have you tried the query statement with question marks ("?") instead of "@<field name>"? 

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:23 AM
  • User726699146 posted

I get 'Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done.' now.

{
                conn.Open();
                cmd.Connection = conn;

cmd.CommandText = ("INSERT INTO customer (name,1stadd,2ndadd,pcode,country,tel,[e-mail]) VALUES(?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)");

cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();
                conn.Close();
                //@name,@1stadd,@2ndadd,@pcode,@country,@tel,@e-mail)
            }

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:41 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

And did you google this new error? 

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:49 AM
  • User1759999623 posted

What version of Access are you using?

Also, look at this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269495

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:59 AM
  • User726699146 posted

I have done some google. I ound 'This is often a datatype problem. Make sure you are passing valid datatypes to whatever is going on in the database.'. Here is the thing - the fields are in the access database are text type and the user will put the data in the text boxes are text, so do I have to convert the data type. I have found 'OleDbType' does it for you. But isn't I am using char type in in and out both side!. Have got thigs right though?Undecided

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 9:15 AM
  • User1759999623 posted

This fits with the error you were getting when using the "@<field name>".

Are any of the Textbox controls empty when you try to save the values using the INSERT? 

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 9:32 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

Really? I don't think so!

cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("country", TextBox5.Text);

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 9:54 AM
  • User726699146 posted

I have tryied everything - with all the textboxes full, just one full, all of them empty etc. But the problem remains similar. Now with the following change of codes I get the same problem as before 'No value given for one or more required parameters.'. I have run out of ideas. 

cmd.CommandText = "INSERT INTO customer (name,1stadd,2ndadd,pcode,[country],tel,[e-mail])" + "VALUES(?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)";
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("1stadd",OleDbType.Char).Value = TextBox2.Text;
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("2ndadd",OleDbType.Char).Value = TextBox3.Text;
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("pcode",OleDbType.Char).Value = TextBox4.Text;
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("country",OleDbType.Char).Value = TextBox5;
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("tel",OleDbType.Char).Value = TextBox6.Text;
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("e-mail", OleDbType.Char).Value = TextBox7.Text;

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:25 AM
  • User1759999623 posted

Really? I don't think so!

I'm talking about that the error messages point to the same issue, which is exactly what you have identified.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:35 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

Now with the following change of codes I get the same problem as before 'No value given for one or more required parameters.'. 

But now I don't see the name parameter! Also, you changed the syntax without any reason, beacuse the old syntax was good:

cmd.CommandText = ("INSERT INTO customer (name,1stadd,2ndadd,pcode,country,tel,[e-mail]) VALUES(?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)");

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:29 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

I'm talking about that the error messages point to the same issue, which is exactly what you have identified.

If you say so. I really don't follow you...

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:32 AM
  • User726699146 posted

Bingo......You are great buddy. It works nowLaughing. Thanks for the helps guys. I will be back soon with more problems soon.

Thanks again

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:50 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

Drop the brackets around "e-mail".  These should be necessary since you have no spaces in the field name. 

No, these are neccessary because of the "-" . And even if they are no spaces or other special characters, the brackets can always be used on all field and table names. It will not cause any problems so removing them won't solve any errors!

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:51 AM
  • User726699146 posted

Thannks for the help last week. I am trying something new again. I have got a log

using System;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Web;
    using System.Web.UI;
    using System.Data;
    using System.Data.OleDb;

namespace test
    {
        public partial class registration : System.Web.UI.Page
        {
            {

}

protected void btnSave_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                OleDbConnection con = new OleDbConnection ((@"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\mohammad\p\web_dev\login.mdb"));
                con.Open();
                cmd.Connection = con;

cmd.CommandText = ("INSERT INTO login (id,[password]) VALUES(?,?)");
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("id", txtId.Text);
                cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("password", txtPassword.Text);

cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();
                con.Close();
            }
        }
    }

in table where I want user to insert their user id and password. Unfortunetly it doesn't work. I get 'Could not find output table 'login'.' error. Is it any thing to do with having to data table in the same project? As I have the other table called customer. Both are in the App_folder.

Thanks in advance again

Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:24 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

Unfortunetly it doesn't work. I get 'Could not find output table 'login'.' error. Is it any thing to do with having to data table in the same project? As I have the other table called customer. Both are in the App_folder.

I don't see why it shouldn't worlk Are you sure you have a table called login with fields id and password?

Thursday, April 29, 2010 1:37 PM
  • User726699146 posted

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks...I have found the fault.Smile 

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 11:13 AM
  • User726699146 posted

I have got a question here. I don't know how to describe it. If I wanto connect the web site to a database that changes, or I would let the user to change it's source according to their requirement - in that case what the data source would be! There must be some way of doing it. I tried to find some articles in online but coudn't find any.

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 11:59 AM