none
Creating multiple page report without wizard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have been directed here from a different part of this forum :)

I have to create a couple of reports for an application I am working on. Report 1 is a single report of a fixture using data I have saved and report is a multiple page report showing all fixtures based on a project ID. This report would also need a page at the front showing a list of fixtures and relevant data fields as a summary. Both reports will need to have charts etc.

The problem I see is this (if it is a problem). All of my SQL database connections are set up using DAL & BLL layers and I do not have a designer generated sql connection. In other words, my application does not hold a constant connection. I open a connection, process data and then close the connection. When I look at the Microsoft Reports, they all use a wizard which requires me to choose a connection (which I do not have set up).

So, what would be the best way to set up the reports? Would I be better to create a secondary application and make a direct database connection then use this to create the reports after which, copy the report files to the main application or would this cause errors because the connection would be missing once they have been copied?

It would be prudent to note that all of my data retrievals are using Stored Procedures not tables.

What is the best way to create these reports? How would I set up multiple page reports? Is there any good alternative reporting software that is either free or priced fairly? its a personal project, not a corporate project.

Thanks for any help

Nacho :)

Nacho is the derivative of Nigel "True fact!"

Saturday, October 17, 2015 6:48 AM