Differences between each WCF service RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, I am new to developing apps for WP7. I am trying to develop an app that uses Bing maps to track the closest recycling bin (for the sake of saving the earth). I want to handle data such as user login information, location of recycle bins, and etc seperately using SQL Server 2008. However, I am quite confused as to which WCF service should I use. There is the WCF service (vanilla), WCF data service and WCF RIA service. Anyone can point me in the right direction? I am also open to using other methods for data access.

P.S. I am also developing the app for web browsers, if that is of any relevance.

P.P.S I intended to post this on the Windows Phone 7 forum, but the forum category section did not allow me to do so.

Thanks,

Francis

Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Francis, RIA services is not currently supported on WP7. For more information about the different types of web services and how to connect to them with WP7 see the topic Connecting to Web and Data Services for Windows Phone:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff637518(VS.92).aspx

The Web and Data Services section in the Windows Phone documentation is new as of mid-December. It also includes additional links to more information about creating web services and data services.

Thanks,

Matt

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:18 PM

All replies