Installation failure - SQL Server 2008R2 Express RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Click Once installation package that utilizes SQL Server 2008 R2 Express.  It sets up an instance called SQLEXPRESS_2008.

When I run the setup.exe I am immediately presented with this error message:

"A prerequisite failed for Package "SQL Server 2008 R2 Express With Tools"
    Package failed with message "SQL Server 2008 R2 Express (x64) cannot upgrade the existing instance of SQL Server 2008 Express (x64 WoW) named 'SQLEXPRESS_ASL'. Uninstall this instance of SQL Server 2005 Express and retry installing SQL Server 2008 R2 Express (x64)."

Weird thing is that there isn't a SQL 2005 instance of SQLEXPRESS_ASL installed, but rather an instance called SQLEXPRESS.

I even tried installing the instance manually (which worked) and the failure message still appears.  I have encountered this error once before, and was able to correct it by removing the SQL 2005 instance called SQLEXPRESS.  In this case I cannot remove that instance as it is in use

Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:10 PM

Answers

• Hi aroyston,

There is already an instance called SQLEXPRESS in your computer and it is a default instance. Please tell me the version of the instance.

In addition, you also want to install an instance called SQLEXPRESS_2008. This is a named instance.

I think there would be no conflict between them. Such as SQL Server Express 2005 Edition, it supports 16 multiple instances.

Please try to install the SQL Server 2008 R2 instance manually.

How to install SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/petersad/archive/2009/11/13/how-to-install-sql-server-2008-r2-express-edition-november-ctp.aspx.

If you have any problem, please feel free to let me know.

TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are
    TechNet Subscriptionuser and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Thanks,
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:11 AM
    Monday, October 15, 2012 10:15 AM

All replies