none
"Visual studio 2010 shell invalid license data. reinstall is required" when trying to edit file.

Question

• I am running a fresh copy of Win10 installed from a purchased CD. It is therefore not an update from a Win8 system. I have installed Visual Studio 2014 Community. I also seem to have some tools installed from VS 2013, I ssume from the same install. I am using Filezilla to download the web.config file from a website I support. It downloads onto my system OK but when I try and edit it, I get the error message shown in the title. I don't know how VS 2010 comes into the picture, it's not installed, so can anyone tell me how to get round this problem.
    • Edited by wagham Thursday, January 07, 2016 3:11 PM
    Thursday, January 07, 2016 12:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Weiwei

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the shell as you suggest but I am still getting the same error message.

The file I have downloaded off the website was probably created with Visual Studio 2013. I would have thought that was sufficiently late as to cause no problems to VS 2015.

I am going to give up trying to edit the downloaded file. I have plans to re-write the website, so I will concentrate on that.

Many thanks for your help
    Roger Hampson

Monday, January 11, 2016 3:29 PM

All replies

• Hi wagham,

Do you mean you open and edit the Web.config with Visual Studio 2015 Community? And which version of Visual Studio do you used to create the Web.config?

Please open another Web.config which created by Visual Studio 2015 and then open it. If it can be opened and edit correctly, this problem is related to the Web.config file. Please create a new Web.config file with Visual Studio and then copy the content into the new file.

If create a new Web.config file also has this problem, please open Control Penal -> Program and Features and open menu Help -> About Microsoft Visual Studio to check whether there has any VS2010 related installed.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, January 08, 2016 7:52 AM
  • Hi Weiwei

I use Filezilla to copy the file I want to edit onto my own system. If I then use mouse button 2 to open a selection menu and select Open, I get the error message in the title. I can select Open with Notepad++ from the menu and it will open OK, as it will if I select Open with and the select Visual Studio 2015 from the next menu. I am not sure what Open is defaulting to. When I have finished, I use Filezilla to copy it to the production system again.

I have two entries in Programs and Features

Visual Studio 2010 Prerequisites - English
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Shell (Isolated) - ENU

I don't know what installed these because they were installed 2 weeks before I installed Visual Studio Community 2015.

Best Regards
    Roger Hampson

Friday, January 08, 2016 10:35 AM
  • Hi wagham,

According to your description, this problem seems related to the file you downloaded with Filezilla. That file should be created by Visual Studio 2010, but now you want to open it with Visual Studio 2015, there should be something incompatible.

I suggest you uninstall the Visual Studio 2010 Shell and re-install it from below link first.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1366

If still has this problem, please create a new file with the same name with Visual Studio 2015 and then copy the content to the new file.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, January 11, 2016 1:27 AM
  • Hi Weiwei

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the shell as you suggest but I am still getting the same error message.

The file I have downloaded off the website was probably created with Visual Studio 2013. I would have thought that was sufficiently late as to cause no problems to VS 2015.

I am going to give up trying to edit the downloaded file. I have plans to re-write the website, so I will concentrate on that.

Many thanks for your help
    Roger Hampson

Monday, January 11, 2016 3:29 PM
  • Hi wagham,

Since this file created by previous version of Visual Studio, there may be something incompatible which lead to this problem.

>>I am going to give up trying to edit the downloaded file. I have plans to re-write the website, so I will concentrate on that.

I will close this thread later. If any questions about Visual Studio IDE, please feel free to come back to our forum.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 1:02 AM