Reverting the video driver

Question

• I have discreet and integrated video cards in my laptop and during installation, it only picked up the integrated video card. Unfortunately, I thought I'd be smart and install the Windows 7 driver of the discreet video card but that only resulted in the Black Screen of Death.

I tried F8 and Shift + F8 but neither got me into any sort of safe mode menu. I imagine that the safe mode menu for Windows 8 uses the full driver and not a generic VGA driver since it's Metro-styled. Is there a way to revert to a VGA driver or uninstall the discreet video driver? This is not a very useful safe mode if I can't even see the safe mode menu as nice as the Metro-style is.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 4:39 AM

Answers

• I forgot that Windows 8 doesn't "shutdown" when you hit the power button. It just goes into standby when you hit the power button. A hard reboot by holding down the power button did the trick. I guess the installation didn't finish correctly and needed the help of a hard reboot. The driver seems to be installed correctly now after the hard reboot as it doesn't have a exclamation point icon anymore when you go into the device manager.
    Good thing too since I don't have a CD-ROM drive on this laptop. I just ran the setup file over the network from Windows 7.
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 6:28 AM

All replies

• You can access recovery mode if you boot from the install disk and chose Repair Your Computer.

If a restore point was made before the drivers were installed using that restore point with System Restore may work.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:09 AM
  • I forgot that Windows 8 doesn't "shutdown" when you hit the power button. It just goes into standby when you hit the power button. A hard reboot by holding down the power button did the trick. I guess the installation didn't finish correctly and needed the help of a hard reboot. The driver seems to be installed correctly now after the hard reboot as it doesn't have a exclamation point icon anymore when you go into the device manager.
    Good thing too since I don't have a CD-ROM drive on this laptop. I just ran the setup file over the network from Windows 7.
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 6:28 AM