Touch First; Mouse Never

General discussion

• I love a lot about Win 8 so far, and I completely respect that you have touch first in mind, but what about the mouse? There's no way to zoom out, pull up charms, or "select" tiles with the mouse. I can see why you might not be able to zoom, but the other two should be pretty simple.

I know that at some point touch devices will be everywhere, but when Win8 is released, don't expect a lot of PC users to have touch screens yet. They aren't cheap. I'm lucky to have been able to afford the dual monitor setup I currently have. I'd have to spend another $600+(for CHEAP monitors) to replace these two monitors with equivalent resolution touch monitors. Don't expect me to be able to save up enough for those AND Win8.

• Changed type joezim007 Friday, September 23, 2011 2:37 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 2:36 PM

All replies

• I love a lot about Win 8 so far, and I completely respect that you have touch first in mind, but what about the mouse? There's no way to zoom out, pull up charms, or "select" tiles with the mouse. I can see why you might not be able to zoom, but the other two should be pretty simple.
    I also think the mouse has been short-changed. I am a mouse person, and I think that it should be possible to use Metro using just the mouse, making the experience as much like touch as possible.

Two big things that are missing for me:

1. Dragging the screen rather than using the scroll bars.

2. Some way to bring up the Metro on-screen keyboard.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, September 23, 2011 4:34 PM
  • With mouse you can:

- Zoom by holding the Ctrl key and moving the scrollwheel (just like you can in Win7 today)

- Select and show item commands by right-clicking on an item (similar to how you do contextual commanding in Win7)

- Activate the charms menu by moving your cursor in the bottom left corner

Hope that helps!
    J-K

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:50 PM
  • With mouse you can:

- Zoom by holding the Ctrl key and moving the scrollwheel (just like you can in Win7 today)

- Select and show item commands by right-clicking on an item (similar to how you do contextual commanding in Win7)

- Activate the charms menu by moving your cursor in the bottom left corner

Hope that helps!
    J-K

Do you believe it is a good idea to force a "touch first" paradigm into a "mouse first" world?

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:57 PM
  • I know that at some point touch devices will be everywhere, but when Win8 is released, don't expect a lot of PC users to have touch screens yet. They aren't cheap. I'm lucky to have been able to afford the dual monitor setup I currently have. I'd have to spend another £383.72+(for CHEAP monitors) to replace these two monitors with equivalent resolution touch monitors. Don't expect me to be able to save up enough for those AND Win8.

More importantly, touchscreens on the desktop aren't actually that useful. Don't get me wrong, multi touch on a tablet is a great way to drive the thing. But have you actually tried to hold your arms out in front of you to poke at a desktop monitor? Just imagine - typing, mousing then moving your hands off the mouse/keyboard to paw at the monitor, then back to the mouse/keyboard... I guess it depends on what you use the PC for but in my world I just don't see it.

Sorry to sound negative but until we get 24" screens embedded into desks (so we actually can treat them like tablets), touch is simply not going to be a viable control mechanism for a desktop PC - which is why however pretty Metro is, it needs to have a good mouse experience.

Marc.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:18 PM