Accessing "Now Playing" on Windows RT C# RRS feed

• Question

• Folks, is there a way to access the "Now Playing" information on WinRT similar to the MediaPlayer.Queue.ActiveSong on Windows Phone? I know you'd have to access things from a separate app, like the Xbox Music App, but hoping for some way to get Music Info from "whatever is currently playing" on a WinRT scenario.

Scott J. Peterson, MCSD, MCPSB, MCT

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 6:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I searched the document, there is no such function in Windows Store App.

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, May 10, 2013 6:38 AM
  • I'm pretty sure you're not going to get this.  The XBox Music is a Store app, and like all Store apps, there's no interop between them except via Sharing, and that's not what you're looking for. 

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

• Marked as answer by Scott Peterson Wednesday, April 23, 2014 10:51 PM
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I searched the document, there is no such function in Windows Store App.

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, May 10, 2013 6:38 AM
  • Folks, is there a way to access the "Now Playing" information on WinRT similar to the MediaPlayer.Queue.ActiveSong on Windows Phone? I know you'd have to access things from a separate app, like the Xbox Music App, but hoping for some way to get Music Info from "whatever is currently playing" on a WinRT scenario.

Have a look at Windows.Media.MediaControl

This should have what you need.

British Airways Inspiration App & rara music

Friday, May 10, 2013 2:39 PM
  • This seems to only register items that are being "played" with the instance of that control in the app...I was hoping for something that would get the "Now Playing" from the Music App or whatever was using the default Media for Music...thoughts?

Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:16 PM
  • I'm pretty sure you're not going to get this.  The XBox Music is a Store app, and like all Store apps, there's no interop between them except via Sharing, and that's not what you're looking for. 

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

• Marked as answer by Scott Peterson Wednesday, April 23, 2014 10:51 PM
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:47 PM