Image X Backup with EWF and HORM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i´m current develop on a WES7 project and i have an issue with a backup function using ImageX.
    The system includes EWF and HORM.

I have to partition, one with the running OS (WES7) and the second one is a backup parition.

I want to boot a WinPE and then restore the backup image (backup done before with ImageX) with ImageX.
    The Problem is that HORM doesn´t work after the restore.

Is it possible to make a backup of my system and restore it with automatic activated HORM and EWF?

I read a lot of problems with ImageX and HORM/EWF, but i think there have to be a way to solve the problem.

Additional: There is no possibility to handle reactivation of HORM after restore.
                     The System should restart after restore from the backup Hibernation file.

thanks for helping me

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 11:00 AM

Answers

• @Crusty87

There are certian guidelines while you are using ImageX or anyother tool to capture an image that has WriteFilters in WES7. One such guideline is that EWF, HORM should be disabled while capturing the image. See the below link for the set of guidelines/steps to be followed that were released by Microsoft.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/embedded/archive/2010/05/11/ewf-mass-deployment-check-list-for-windows-embedded-standard-7.aspx

So according to me the answer to your question - i.e. "Is it possible to make a backup of my system and restore it with automatic activated HORM and EWF" is NO.

According to your post it looks like EWF state is getting retained and HORM doesn't work after the restore, but i advice ignore that and just follow the guidelines.

• Proposed as answer by Shoeb Mohammed - MS Wednesday, April 4, 2012 12:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Crusty87 Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:47 AM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 12:00 AM

All replies

• 1. According to Microsoft, Imagex cannot be used for backup media. You have to create your own application to using the imaging APIs.

2. Has the recovery image been syspreped? What mode is EWF setup for RAM or RAM-REG?

-Seab

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:51 PM
  • Hi,

ImageX was just for testing it, i will get my own application for backup in the future.

The recovery image have not been syspreped, i think it is not possible because the Image restore should be complete automatic.
    I have to make a complete backup of a running system, or the customer can do it when every he want.
    EWF an HORM is still activated during a backup.

EWF Mode is RAM-REG. Is RAM - Mode better than RAM-REG?

Everything is fine after a restore, just HORM doesn´t work.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:00 AM
  • @Crusty87

There are certian guidelines while you are using ImageX or anyother tool to capture an image that has WriteFilters in WES7. One such guideline is that EWF, HORM should be disabled while capturing the image. See the below link for the set of guidelines/steps to be followed that were released by Microsoft.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/embedded/archive/2010/05/11/ewf-mass-deployment-check-list-for-windows-embedded-standard-7.aspx

So according to me the answer to your question - i.e. "Is it possible to make a backup of my system and restore it with automatic activated HORM and EWF" is NO.

According to your post it looks like EWF state is getting retained and HORM doesn't work after the restore, but i advice ignore that and just follow the guidelines.

• Proposed as answer by Shoeb Mohammed - MS Wednesday, April 4, 2012 12:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Crusty87 Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:47 AM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 12:00 AM