Scability with Azure Media service RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are planning to use Windows Azure Media Service for our project. Currently, we published some video and encoded to other format based on our requirement. The POC completed fine. But currently we are not using CDN, DRM.

We are having query about scalability with Media Service. As per my understanding, the video served from Media Service. We are expecting at least 500 user plays the video at a time. So can you please let me know the scalability studies on Media Service.

Many Thanks, Thirumalai M

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:26 PM

Answers

• Hi, 

By adding streaming reserved unit, we could provide guaranteed bandwidth starting from 200 mbps. However, there is no specific figure for concurrent users supported. The bast way to scale is through CDN rather than origin server, especially since you have 500 concurrent users.

Thanks,

Mingfei Yan

• Marked as answer by Mingfei Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:31 PM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:31 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

By adding streaming reserved unit, we could provide guaranteed bandwidth starting from 200 mbps. However, there is no specific figure for concurrent users supported. The bast way to scale is through CDN rather than origin server, especially since you have 500 concurrent users.

Thanks,

Mingfei Yan

• Marked as answer by Mingfei Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:31 PM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:31 PM
  • Hi Mingfei,

Thanks for reply.

As per my understanding, CDN is publically accessible. To secure the media it is required to use DRM. CDN + DRM will cost more. At beginning we are ready to go with WAMS, and move to CDN when demand raised.

So, We wish to know any metrics published by Microsoft or community.

Many Thanks, Thirumalai M

Monday, October 7, 2013 8:52 AM
  • Thirumalai,

CDNs are basically a caching mechanism and do not provide any sort of authentication/authorization. You can create an On-Demand Streaming Locator and point a CDN to it. You are correct that there is no access restriction, and the best course of action is to use a DRM like PlayReady.

Thanks,

Michael Green
    Windows Azure Media Services Documentation Team

Monday, October 14, 2013 10:12 PM