none
Clarifications on docker-machine, docker & dockerd RRS feed

• Question

• These three tools are the most fundamental tools in the docker ecosystem and I just want to understand the role they will play in Windows Server.

In the Windows Server Container implementation the docker-machine is missing. Following the recent TP5 release the docker client and the docker daemon are both installed into the Container Host. Where is the docker-machine?

Can I, using TP5, run a docker client on my dev machine controlling a docker daemon in a Container Host on another [virtual] box?

If so can you share some instructions on how to do this? I suspect the answer is no.

Using the current Docker Toolbox this is possible but obviously this is to manage a Linux Container Host. Is the support for a Windows Container Host pencilled for later in the year? From what I've seen the Docker for Windows beta only supports a Linux Container Host too.

Thanks all your help

Thursday, May 5, 2016 1:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Naeem,

Currently, Docker Machine has a driver to set up Windows container hosts in Azure.

Even without Docker Machine, you can run a docker client on your dev machine and control a docker daemon in another container host. The instructions to do this are here. Although it specifies Nano Server, the instructions will work for any kind of container host. If you want to ensure your connection is secure, you can use these scripts.

It is one of our goals to have Docker for Windows also support Windows Container Hosts.

Regards,
    Ender

• Marked as answer by Naeem S Friday, May 6, 2016 11:51 AM
    Thursday, May 5, 2016 5:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Naeem,

Currently, Docker Machine has a driver to set up Windows container hosts in Azure.

Even without Docker Machine, you can run a docker client on your dev machine and control a docker daemon in another container host. The instructions to do this are here. Although it specifies Nano Server, the instructions will work for any kind of container host. If you want to ensure your connection is secure, you can use these scripts.

It is one of our goals to have Docker for Windows also support Windows Container Hosts.

Regards,
    Ender

• Marked as answer by Naeem S Friday, May 6, 2016 11:51 AM
    Thursday, May 5, 2016 5:48 PM
  • Fantastic, this is exactly what I need
    Friday, May 6, 2016 11:51 AM