none
Migrating old project from VC++ 6.0 to a newer version of Visual Studio

Question

• Hello,

We have this old big project developed in Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 on Windows 7 and we need to use Visual Studio Professional 2012.

I would like to know if it can be better to migrate it first to an older version of VS, like VS 2008 or VS 2010 and then to VS Professional 2012.

Any tips for the migration are greatly appreciated!

Friday, March 11, 2016 1:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Andreea2111,

>>I would like to know if it can be better to migrate it first to an older version of VS, like VS 2008 or VS 2010 and then to VS Professional 2012.

As far as I know, to migrate the project from VC++6.0 project. I suggest you'd better migrate to the VS2008 at first.  Before migrating, please do a backup for your project.

In addition, since VC++ 6.0 and VS2008 are both old version of VS and we don't support now. If possible, please use advanced version of VS like VS2013 OR vs2015. You can create same project then copy code from your old project into it.

Before doing this, please also make a backup. There might be some compiling error or some compatible issues.

For the detailed compiling error. You could post it to the C++ forum for better support.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, March 14, 2016 2:54 AM