none
App won run on 4.0 framework RRS feed

• Question

• Am trying to upgrade a customer to .net 4.0 with a new app.  My app is c# built wit VS 2010 fr .net 4.0.

He created a new web site, and points at dedicate app pool (W 2003 x64 server), and targets 4.0 in th eIIS console.  When he loads teh site, gets a page not found error (404).  Tried accessing a specific aspx page, but gets same error.  If he specifies an html page withing the site, it works.

The app is compiled for .net 4.0.  Have made the web.config changes for the 4.0 upgrade:
    <compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="true" targetFramework="4.0">
    <pages controlRenderingCompatibilityVersion="3.5" clientIDMode="AutoID"/></system.web>

This same app working in multiple places on multiple servers.  Can't figue out what is wrong here.

If I point the web site at an older version of the app (a 2.0 application), and change the .net to 2.0, it works. If I then leave it on the old app, and change framework to .net 4.0, it will not work.  So neither the 2.0 or 4.0 application will work on the 4.0 framework.

Tried reinstall/repair of the framework itself.  Tried restarting server.  Noting in the event log.

Looks like the .net 4.0 framework will not compile/run the app.

Stuck!

Friday, July 2, 2010 10:12 AM

Answers

• Hi Dave,

Based on your description, it seems that this C# web site works on the framework .NET 2.0 instead of .NET 4.0.

Since this forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation, you can try Verification Tool to verify .NET Framework 4.0 on this machine to eliminate the possible cause of corrupted .NET Framework 4.0. When you run Verification tool, you can find the verification result from "Current Status".

If .NET Framework 4.0 is verified successfully, I would suggest you to try ASP.NET Forum forum to get more useful help since this might be related to ASP.NET development.

If it fails to be verified, you can try removing .NET Framework 4.0 from the machine and reinstall it.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Monday, July 5, 2010 3:15 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Sunday, July 11, 2010 12:08 PM
    Monday, July 5, 2010 3:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

Based on your description, it seems that this C# web site works on the framework .NET 2.0 instead of .NET 4.0.

Since this forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation, you can try Verification Tool to verify .NET Framework 4.0 on this machine to eliminate the possible cause of corrupted .NET Framework 4.0. When you run Verification tool, you can find the verification result from "Current Status".

If .NET Framework 4.0 is verified successfully, I would suggest you to try ASP.NET Forum forum to get more useful help since this might be related to ASP.NET development.

If it fails to be verified, you can try removing .NET Framework 4.0 from the machine and reinstall it.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Monday, July 5, 2010 3:15 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Sunday, July 11, 2010 12:08 PM
    Monday, July 5, 2010 3:09 AM
  • Hi Dave,

I'm writing to follow up the post. Does the above suggestion work?

Please feel free to let me know if you need any help.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 10:24 AM
  • I did not try, however the customer installed the app on a different x64 server and got the same results.  Seems unlikely that two servers would have corrupt .net framework.

Still an issue.

Thursday, July 8, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply.

If we can confirm that .NET Framework 4.0 is not corrupted on the server, we can eliminate the possible cause of that.

You could consult your concern on ASP.NET Forum forum to get more useful help since this might be related to web site development.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, July 9, 2010 2:30 AM
  • Hi Dave,

I've marked my reply as answer since it looks like that your concern might be not related to corrupted .NET Framework.

If you need any further help, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 12:08 PM
  • Dave,

I had the same issue. It turned out to be the a setting in IIS. Even though the framework was installed, 4.0 extensions were prohibited in IIS

To resolve this, do the following steps:-

1. From your Run command, type inetmgr and press enter.
    2. Expand the appropriate nodes in the IIS to locate the "Webservice Extensions" Node
    3. Click on the same.
    4. You will find a list of "prohibited" extensions in the right.
    5. Click on ASP.NET and "allow" it

http://forums.asp.net/t/1634136.aspx/1?IIS+Framework+4+0+The+page+cannot+be+found

Friday, March 11, 2011 9:03 PM