none
Mailmerge labels from remote SQL Table RRS feed

• Question

• I have a web application that creates a SQL Table to be used in Word to produce labels from that table. Web app and SQL Server are on same machine hosted remotely

In the past I have opened up a port on my firewall to allow a particular user with a static IP. This is not now practical.

Could you suggest how I might go about this?

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 11:46 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Microsoft does not currently recommend, and does not support, Automation of Microsoft Office applications from any unattended, non-interactive client application or component (including ASP, ASP.NET, DCOM, and NT Services), because Office may exhibit unstable behavior and/or deadlock when Office is run in this environment. For more information, please visit Considerations for server-side Automation of Office.

I suggest you use Open XML library to manipulate Word document. You could visit Welcome to the Open XML SDK 2.5 for Office & Word processing (Open XML SDK).

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 3:10 AM
  • Hi eharford,

>> In the past I have opened up a port on my firewall to allow a particular user with a static IP. This is not now practical.

What do you mean by this? Based on your description, it seems your web app and SQL Server are on the same machine, if so, there should not be a problem to connect SQL Server from web app.

It would be helpful if you could share us more information about your issue.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 20, 2017 8:52 AM