none
dotnetfx35setup.exe:- No new items in Project Template. RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded dotnetfx35setup.exe. It further downloaded approx 39mb of files and installed .NET 3.5 SP1.
    I do not find new Project items like EntityFramework, Data Services, DynamicData templates and others. (don;t know how many others should be)

Did it installed SP1 ?  or am i missing something.?

Regards
    JIGNESH
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jignesh Desai,
    no no .
    installing a new framework to visual studio not changing any thing in templates or tools
    and you must know that is frame 3.5 setup size = 69 MB  if you had installed it  from Microsoft website:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=333325fd-ae52
    -4e35-b531-508d977d32a6&DisplayLang=en

and if you using VS 2005 you can't update it and if you using VS 2008 then it's currently using framework 3.0
    -----------
    my best wishes
    -----------  
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:40 PM
  • Hello Jignesh,

Could you let me know what version of Visual Studio you are using?

If it is Visual Studio 2005, then installing .NET Framework 3.5 won't add new features/project & item templates to it. Visual Studio 2005 was designed for .NET Framework 2.0.

If you want to develop applications using the new features available in .NET Framework 3.5, you'll have to use Visual Studio 2008.

If the above is not the case, please tell me more about what you want and I'll see how can I help.

Thanks,
    Jie
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have any feedback, please tell us.

The CodeFx Project
    My Blog (in Simplified Chinese)
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:36 PM
  • Hi Jie,

I am using VS2008.

After Installing dotnetfx35setup.exe I was expecting that i will have new items in project templates.

Now I think I will also need to install VS2008 SP1.  Right ?

I wanted to see templates like
    Entity Framework
    Dynamic Data
    ADO.NET Data Services
    MVC
    { Don;t know if anything else should be there }

Regards
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:54 PM
  • Okay, I see.

For ADO.NET Data Services, you will need Visual Studio 2008 SP1. This article Using Microsoft ADO.NET Data Services describes the Pre-requisites and provided instructions / samples on this topic.

For MVC, I guess you are talking about the ASP.NET MVC. That is a separate download, you can get it here from the offical ASP.NET MVC website.

And What's New in Visual Studio 2008 SP1 for your reference.

If I missed anything, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Jie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

The CodeFx Project
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 2:07 PM

• Thanks for quick reply.
    What about the first two.?  (Entity Framework , Dynamic Data )

- Regards
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 2:12 PM
  • The .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 has the runtime support for all of these. And Visual Studio 2008 SP1 has the tool support.

So after installing Visual Studio 2008 SP1, you may want to check these links to get started:

The CodeFx Project
    • Marked as answer by Jignesh Desai Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:19 PM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:00 PM