SSAS Tabular Median calculation RRS feed

• Question

• There is issues calculation median with DAX. Is it possible to calculate the Median using Excel , part of a PivotTable in a way that would work with drill down. Is it possible for Excel to retrieve the raw Mortgage Amount from Analysis Services (150 million rows or so) and calculate the median at the front end somehow.

I looked into link below but that does not seem to calculate the median on the raw data.

Quartile, Percentile and Median in PowerPivot / DAX

Thank you

Gokhan Varol

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Gokhan,

Thank you for your question. I am currently looking into this issue and will give you an update as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Best Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 15, 2013 12:59 AM
  • Hello Gokhan,

Regarding the Median Calculation, perhaps this would help:

http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/12317/How-to-Create-the-Elusive-Pivot-Table-With-Medians-Excel-Tip.aspx

My understanding is that data source can be SSAS, the amount of data might be something that you need to consider, when thinking about performance but should be possible.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Meer Al - MSFT

Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:12 PM
  • How will excel get the data from Analysis services to calculate the median on it for the given drill down criteria? How to set it up for this?

The median must work within the existing drilldowns already made the pivot tables, it cannot be a seperate sheet or so.

Gokhan Varol

Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:36 PM
  • Hello Gokhan,

I thought the blog post would be helpful in this regard. If you need assistance on this further, I would recommend opening a ticket with Microsoft Excel Support team, as this will require working with a repro setup.

Thanks.

Meer Al - MSFT

Sunday, September 8, 2013 4:44 PM