Unable to activate Windows Tailored application

Question

• I created a new C# Metro-style application in Windows 8, added a TextBlock ("Hello, World"), and hit F5. The wait/splash screen shows up for a few seconds, then fades to green. When I click on the screen, it takes me to the home screen again. (This is the same behavior I see with other, normal applications, too.)

I verified that there are no styles in App.xaml and that my resolution is greather than 1024x768, but the app refuses to run still with the "Unable to activate Windows Tailored application" error.

I'm running this in a Parallels virtual machine on Mac.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:47 AM

Answers

• OK, I figured out what the issue is. For some bizarre reason, none of the Metro apps are running on the Administrator account created by default. When I create a new account and run the apps from there, everything works fine. 

I'm not sure if this is a Parallels issue or a Windows 8 one.

• Marked as answer by Sadhana G Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:20 AM
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:20 AM

All replies

• To make sure I understand correctly: this problem occurs with all apps and not just your custom ones, right?
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:52 AM
  • Well, the other apps exhibit the same symptom (splash screen shows for a few seconds, then the green background, then clicking takes me to the home screen again) but the other apps don't give me the error message.

When I run the application (that I'm developing) right after restarting Windows 8, I don't get the error (it still doesn't work, however) but I get it every time afterwards.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:58 AM
  • OK, I figured out what the issue is. For some bizarre reason, none of the Metro apps are running on the Administrator account created by default. When I create a new account and run the apps from there, everything works fine. 

I'm not sure if this is a Parallels issue or a Windows 8 one.

• Marked as answer by Sadhana G Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:20 AM
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:20 AM
  • Hi Sadhana,

That is expected behavior. Metro style apps cannot be run elevated, including the always-elevated raw Administrator account.

Since this isn't a development question I'll move your post to the General OS Questions section in case you have any followup questions. You may want to look at other threads on this requirement as well.

--Rob

Saturday, February 18, 2012 5:11 PM