none
Set Visual Studio to new Win10 Profile

Question

• Recently an Win10 update corrupted my Win10 Account.  I found numerous suggestions to fix the problems, but none worked for me.  Thus, I created a new Win10 Account and transferred all my old Win10 Account info (including AppData) to the new Win10 Account.  This worked for nearly all my programs.  However, when I tried Visual Studio 2013, it set me up as a new user.  Is there a way to setup the Visual Studio profile from my old Win10 Account to my New Win10 Account.   I have numerous backup and can retrieve any file.  In advance, thanks for any information you will share.

Chuck

Friday, October 21, 2016 8:45 PM

All replies

• Hi chh92679,

This forum is to discuss the Microsoft build engine aka MSBuild. Since your issue is more related to visual studio general. we'll move it to visual studio general forum for support.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Cole Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 5:56 AM
  • Hi Chuck,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>> However, when I tried Visual Studio 2013, it set me up as a new user. 

Did you meet any reminder or error message when you open/sign in the VS 2013? In case, some old user data or settings that caused this issue, please have a try with the following to troubleshot this issue:

Please an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE and run these commands as below, then open VS and see if the same issue will occur or not.

• devenv /resetuserdata: clean up the user data
    • devenv /resetsettings: Restores the IDE's default settings, optionally resets to the specified VSSettings file.
    • devenv /safemode: Launches the IDE in safe mode loading minimal windows and check if the issue again.

If the old or new Windows 10 account that you mentioned are the Microsoft account not the local computer account, and when you sign in with the new Microsoft account, but VS 2013 still remember the old account, please have a look at this similar issue, then try the following workarounds:

1. Sign in as the old user, sign out and sign in as the new user

2. Backup the registry key and delete the registry key under

hkey_current_user\software\Microsoft\VSCommon\12.0\clientservices\tokenstorage\visualstudio\ideuser, then reopen VS and try it again.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 3:16 AM