Cluster service login failures RRS feed

• Question

• I am seeing intermittent log failures ( every 3-5 minutes) in the SQL error logs for our Cluster service login.

The login failure is very generic -
    Login failed for user 'CLT_LASH\LASHDBC3$'.

I don't see anything in the event logs that occurs at the same time as the failures and the cluster is up and working.

Any ideas on where else I can verify? I'm a little stumped.

Thanks in advance

Friday, February 3, 2012 6:35 PM

Answers

• @W84me,

There is a work around for it to connect to SQL server:

Go to Run-->services.msc--> MSSQLSERVER . On the "log on as" tab right click and check your login information. it is suggested to delete the password and retype it again. You can use Local Security Settings (Secpol.msc) to do this. If this computer is a node in a cluster, check that this user right is assigned to the Cluster service account on all nodes in the cluster.

If you have already assigned this user right to the service account, and the user right appears to be removed, a Group Policy object associated with this node might be removing the right. Check with your domain administrator to find out if this is happening.

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Monday, February 13, 2012 1:54 AM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 7:16 AM

All replies

• You could try use Profiler's  'Audit Login Failed Event Class' http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187862.aspx to possibly assist narrow down the cause.
    Friday, February 3, 2012 7:46 PM
  • @W84me,

There is a work around for it to connect to SQL server:

Go to Run-->services.msc--> MSSQLSERVER . On the "log on as" tab right click and check your login information. it is suggested to delete the password and retype it again. You can use Local Security Settings (Secpol.msc) to do this. If this computer is a node in a cluster, check that this user right is assigned to the Cluster service account on all nodes in the cluster.

If you have already assigned this user right to the service account, and the user right appears to be removed, a Group Policy object associated with this node might be removing the right. Check with your domain administrator to find out if this is happening.

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Monday, February 13, 2012 1:54 AM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 7:16 AM
  • I am assuming that you are running with a Windows 2003 Cluster, becuuse there is no service account in Windows 2008 and above.  Why is the cluster service accessing your SQL Instance?  Are you sure that there is not some other service using it.  Have you checked the originating IP address.  As for the previous suggestion I feel that this is not something you should do.  SQL service accounts and passwords should ONLY be updated through Configuration Manager not the services panel, especially on a cluster.

Find out where the login failures are originating from, provide more information on the cluster, and please don't update any SQL settings that should only be done through configuration manager.

Henry Rooney www.wardyit.com Please leave feedback

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 6:54 AM