none
WDK provisioning RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to build a new NDIS filter driver. That's why I'm building a test environment now. My idea was to use Visual Studio 2017 for the development. Now... here's my question. Assume I want to connect via COM-port to my Hyper-V machine (via named pipe). Should I "provision the target computer for driver deployment and testing" or simply activate the kernel debugging via command line on this machine? What's the benefit of this huge provisioning-thing?? As far as I read, there's no way I could automatically deploy/install an NDIS filter driver using those tools... so, what are they good for?

Background info: I can compile the sample driver and I can connect to the target using WinDbg and Visual Studio, but I cannot install the driver at the moment... my idea now is, that I want to understand what I did and do here... because, up to now a lot of things I did was just guessing and hoping that the installation of something helps or that the execution of a command brings me closer to my goal... but now, since it doesn't work, I want to understand every detail.

Rudolf

Sunday, August 26, 2018 11:51 AM

All replies

• From a lot of earlier posts you probably already know that the good old way (manual install & windbg) works reliably. Your goal is to get your driver working, so get it working. Microsoft's job is to get VS integration & deployment working, let them do that.

I want to understand every detail.

Good luck...

-- pa

• Edited by Pavel A Monday, August 27, 2018 11:10 AM
    Monday, August 27, 2018 11:09 AM
  • ok, but... that means, for my testing I don't need those provisioning things or "WDK target something setup" at all? ... they don't contain things like... symbols for the drivers I compile or things like that? (no idea why they would have to be on the target machine, but ... as I sayed, I don't understand anything...).

so... what you say is -> activate the debugging via COM port is enough... nothing more needed... nothing to install on the target machine? ... that's something I could understand :-)

Monday, August 27, 2018 12:41 PM
  • The symbols (.pdb) is on the machine where you've built it. So everything is set to debug.

- pa

Monday, August 27, 2018 7:55 PM