InfoPath errors when using a PC with Office 365 Office 2016 installed and InfoPath 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• We have an InfoPath form published to our Sharepoint portal that works on PCs with Windows 2013 and Sharepoint 2013.  When a user opens the form and completes all of the mandatory fields they hit the "Submit" button and the form is saved to a directory on the portal and an email is sent out to a distrobution list for review and approval.

When I try to submit the same form using a PC with Office 365 Office 2016 installed with InfoPath 2013 I get the following errors:

"InfoPath cannot submit the form

Some rules were not applied

InfoPath cannot submit the form

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"

Any input or direction would be appreciated.

Friday, December 1, 2017 7:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Patrick,

This can happen for various reasons. There are many services which are not supported in Office 365 - Share Point Online.

Check this article for more detailed information:

Migrating InfoPath forms from SharePoint 2010 to Online

Hope this helps you!

Regards,
    Marutha
    Please click the "Mark as Answer" button if a post solves your problem or click "Vote As helpful" button if it was helpful!
    Explore the SharePoint

Friday, December 1, 2017 8:40 PM
  • Thank you Marutha.  The link you gave me provided why I am getting the errors but not guidance on how to fix the problem.

Any more suggestions?

Friday, December 1, 2017 9:14 PM
  • To assist better, can you answer/check the following:

1. Do you have data connections? Is all these connections updated to latest SP Links?

2. Do you use any web services and display, add/edit information to Info Path forms? As mentioned in the article, check if you have any unsupported web services

3. Is it a Info Path(form) Library or List?

4. Do you use custom Content Type?

5. Check the rules if everything is working/configured correctly.

6. Your error shows there is an error in the name of the file you save is incorrect. Is there are any rules or formulas applied here?  

Regards,
    Marutha
    Please click the "Mark as Answer" button if a post solves your problem or click "Vote As helpful" button if it was helpful!
    Explore the SharePoint

Monday, December 4, 2017 2:33 PM
  • Thank you Marutha.

I updated my PC to Microsoft 365 and installed Infopath 2013 to mirror the PC that is experiencing problems.

InfoPath works fine on my PC, no errors.  I can fill out the forms, submit it and approve it without issue.

My next step is to try Infopath logged in as myself on the PC experiencing issues.

Would you be able to tell me where to look for the detail for the "Some rules were not applied" and "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"? 

I would like to find out what rules were not applied and what directory/path/filename InfoPath is balking at.

Patrick

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 4:54 PM
  • My answers underlined:

1. Do you have data connections? Is all these connections updated to latest SP Links? No, we don't pull information from any data sources.

2. Do you use any web services and display, add/edit information to Info Path forms? As mentioned in the article, check if you have any unsupported web services No

3. Is it a Info Path(form) Library or List? List

4. Do you use custom Content Type? I pull the users name into the form and create the filename by concatinating the date, time and title of the change request

5. Check the rules if everything is working/configured correctly.  Where do I check the rules to determine which ones are not executing properly?

6. Your error shows there is an error in the name of the file you save is incorrect. Is there are any rules or formulas applied here?  Where can I find what directory/path/filename InfoPath is balking at?

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 4:59 PM
  • Thanks for the information.

5. Check the rules if everything is working/configured correctly.  Where do I check the rules to determine which ones are not executing properly?

Answer:  Open the List in InfoPath Form designer -> Data tab -> Rule Inspector (this will show all the rules running in your form)

6. Your error shows there is an error in the name of the file you save is incorrect. Is there are any rules or formulas applied here?  Where can I find what directory/path/filename InfoPath is balking at?

Answer:

You mentioned you are pulling the name of the person, concatenating the date, time. I am doubting if the issue is here. 

Finally try this. Take the template XSN file of the list from 2010 and update it with SharePoint Online links. Publish it to a new List and check if it works.

Regards,
    Marutha
    Explore the SharePoint

Thursday, December 7, 2017 7:43 PM