how can i generate 2 level workflow? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,
    I am developing infopath form(data submission) and i have to publish this form into sharepoint library.after submitting data into sharepoint library i have to develop 2 level workflow like after submitting data into library a workflow will generate automatically and it will go to one administrator if he is not respond for particular period of time then another workflow will gearate and it will go to next level administrator.

how can i generate 2 level workflow?
    and what is the disadvantages of infopath form compare to .net application form?

thanks
    Raju
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:27 AM Subject changed. Clayton says this isn't Infopath (original title was About InfoPath) and I believe him.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:27 AM wf q (From:SharePoint - InfoPath Forms Services)
    Monday, December 14, 2009 6:36 PM

Answers

• This isn't an InfoPath question, since you're only asking how to do a 2-level workflow.

Which tool will you use to create the workflow?  If you use SPD, I'd do this:

1) Create two workflow with workflow 1 being a normal task assignment or email notification that goes to the first administrator
    2) In the 2nd workflow, tell it to "Pause for duration equal to the amount of time you're willing to wait for the 1st administrator, and when that time comes, add a condition statement that checks to see if the 1st admin has taken action.  If yes, then stop workflow.  If no, then perform the task assignment or email notification.

I'm not sure how to automatically terminate the 1st workflow, but you could add logic that keeps the 1st admin from doing anything if the 2nd admin has already taken action by comparing metadata fields.  The other solution would be to create a code-based workflow in Visual Studio, but you'd need to ask that in the Workflow or Dev forums.

Disadvantages of using InfoPath vs .NET form:
    1) All users must have the version of InfoPath as the form template, or
    2) To avoid this, you must have MOSS Enterprise and create all forms as browser-enabled
    3) 2007 IP forms use ActiveX for some things, which does not work on all platforms or all browsers.
    4) Less functionality/capability, since you can do just about anything with a .NET form

However, there are many advantages to creating codeless IP forms instead of a .NET form.
    SharePoint Architect || My Blog
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:26 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:37 AM

All replies

• This isn't an InfoPath question, since you're only asking how to do a 2-level workflow.

Which tool will you use to create the workflow?  If you use SPD, I'd do this:

1) Create two workflow with workflow 1 being a normal task assignment or email notification that goes to the first administrator
    2) In the 2nd workflow, tell it to "Pause for duration equal to the amount of time you're willing to wait for the 1st administrator, and when that time comes, add a condition statement that checks to see if the 1st admin has taken action.  If yes, then stop workflow.  If no, then perform the task assignment or email notification.

I'm not sure how to automatically terminate the 1st workflow, but you could add logic that keeps the 1st admin from doing anything if the 2nd admin has already taken action by comparing metadata fields.  The other solution would be to create a code-based workflow in Visual Studio, but you'd need to ask that in the Workflow or Dev forums.

Disadvantages of using InfoPath vs .NET form:
    1) All users must have the version of InfoPath as the form template, or
    2) To avoid this, you must have MOSS Enterprise and create all forms as browser-enabled
    3) 2007 IP forms use ActiveX for some things, which does not work on all platforms or all browsers.
    4) Less functionality/capability, since you can do just about anything with a .NET form

However, there are many advantages to creating codeless IP forms instead of a .NET form.
    SharePoint Architect || My Blog
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:26 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:37 AM
  • Hi Clayton Cobb,

Thankyou for answer my question.I got good information from your answer.

Thanks
    Raju
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:59 PM