.NET framework Performance Improvements RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working on a windows application developed on .NET framework 1.1. We are making a proposal to the client regarding the upgrade to higher versions of the framework. I just want to know the main performace and system stability improvements from .net 2.0 to 4.0. What are the advantages we can get if we do a migration from .net 1.1 to the latest framework.

I need to include these points when we propose these things to the client.

Regards,

Manesh Joseph

Friday, June 25, 2010 7:09 AM

Answers

• If the two versions are widely separated (e.g. Upgrade from .Net 1.0 to .Net 4.0) you need to work lot to identify all risks, changes - this requires lot many time in analysis, review of existing code, implementation and lot more. overall big risk and lot many time = man hours = money.

Simple: 

Upgrading from 1.0 to 1.1 = easy (no major work and changes)

Upgrading from 1.0 to 2.0 = analysis of 1.1 and 2.0 is required

Upgrading form 1.1 to 3.0 = analysis of 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 is required

Upgrading from 1.1 to 4.0 = analysis of 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 is required

Please mark the response as answers if it solves your question or vote as helpful if you find it helpful. My Blog: http://ashishkhandelwal.arkutil.com
    • Proposed as answer by Ashish Khandelwal Monday, June 28, 2010 6:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fafafaalex Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:31 AM
    Monday, June 28, 2010 6:57 AM

All replies

• you can view the full comparison of all .Net frameworks here..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework

regards

jayant

Friday, June 25, 2010 7:20 AM
  • You can add following reasons: 

Migrating existing .Net application developed using older version of .Net framework to the latest version is always worth considering, for many reasons. .Net application should be upgraded from time to time to the latest version of .Net to accrue the maximum benefits from technology advancement. Some of the reason/benefits are as follow:

·         Reduce spending on Upgrading across widely separated version releases.

·         Uniform distribution of product over the years which also means it is easier to add new features and enhancements while upgrading.

·         To keep product competitive and contemporary.

·         For Better maintainability.

·         Using latest technologies ensure us to provide better services

·         Leverage the breakthroughs in next generation technologies.

Please mark the response as answers if it solves your question or vote as helpful if you find it helpful. My Blog: http://ashishkhandelwal.arkutil.com
    Friday, June 25, 2010 9:22 AM
  • Ashish,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please elaborate on tye first point. ie Reduce spending on Upgrading across widely separated version releases.

Regards,

Manesh Joseph

Monday, June 28, 2010 5:05 AM
  • If the two versions are widely separated (e.g. Upgrade from .Net 1.0 to .Net 4.0) you need to work lot to identify all risks, changes - this requires lot many time in analysis, review of existing code, implementation and lot more. overall big risk and lot many time = man hours = money.

Simple: 

Upgrading from 1.0 to 1.1 = easy (no major work and changes)

Upgrading from 1.0 to 2.0 = analysis of 1.1 and 2.0 is required

Upgrading form 1.1 to 3.0 = analysis of 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 is required

Upgrading from 1.1 to 4.0 = analysis of 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 is required

• Proposed as answer by Ashish Khandelwal Monday, June 28, 2010 6:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fafafaalex Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:31 AM
    Monday, June 28, 2010 6:57 AM
  • Thanks Ashish!!

Regards,

Manesh Joseph

Monday, June 28, 2010 11:24 AM