none
Reportviewer embedded: strange behaviour in IE7 RRS feed

• Question

• I am using the Reportviewer control embedded in a <asp:content> tag of a report.aspx page.
    I make the binding programmatically, changing the report to display in the Reportviewer according to the choice of the user in a menu.
    The Masterpage associated with the page resport.aspx has an header menu and a footer.
    On IE 6 everything looks fine.
    On IE 7, ONLY when I display reports having INPUT PARAMETERS in their parameter bar, the lower part of the report overlaps with the footer defined in the masterpage.

So the issue in IE 7 is related to the parameter bar of the reports, which make the reportviewer in the content control longer and overlapping with the rest.

Anybody has experienced this?
    I have noticed that if I add few <br /> I solve the problem, since the footer moves down. Unfortunately that happens also with parameterless reports, which will then have a large blank space before the footer of the page.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 1:04 PM

All replies

• Frankly, with Master Pages, you're lucky you're getting the content to show in ReportViewer at all <g>.  A lot of us have had great difficulty with this, which is traceable to what DOCTYPE we're using.

I will guess that the difference between IE 6 and IE 7 that you are seeing is related to this.  So, what DOCTYPE *are* you using?

And if you tell me "none!") I will suspect that IE 6 and IE 7 infers a different default doctype... which would explain the difference perfectly...

>L<

Friday, August 10, 2007 12:28 AM
  • In the Master page I have set up:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

And I expect it will be used with both IE 6 & 7! Or not?

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 3:03 PM
  • >> I expect it will be used

Correct, if the DTD is explicitly put in the master page, both IE 6 and IE 7 are both using it -- but they may be interpreting it differently (IOW IE 6 and IE 7 can be displaying different degrees of fidelity to the standard in this case).  You may see differences again when you test with FireFox or other browsers, too.

Try changing to a different doctype declaration -- not permanently, just for a test, and please don't do this in Production <g>.  I think you may see that it does make a difference, although you may not like the results you get any better.

FYI I use <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"> in my master page, and can't use it *at all* in the reportviewer page. I mean, I get no content. 

My pages with reportviewer controls in them have the doctype you are already using.  As far as I know, the one you are already using is the best choice. 

However, it is not perfect.  The difference you are seeing with your footer may have to do with whether a div is defined as position absolute or relative, whether content is allowed to float, etc, and I don't know where the difference is in the reportviewer code or your footer.  The point is that one of the browsers is not interpreting those instructions the same way as the other. 

Again, check in Firefox and see what they look like there.  I particularly like to use Firefox because its style debugging tools are better.  Another thing you can do is submit the HTML for one of your pages (without a reportviewer on it) to a CSS validator and check to see if you need to "tighten" things up a bit for more consistent display.

Hope this helps,

>L<

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 4:02 PM
  • I have just noticed that the problem only occurs when I display in the ReportViewer a report having input parameters.
    With parameterless reports, IE6 and IE7 have the same absolute behaviour.

So I guess the parameters bar makes the DTD confused in IE7.
    For the moment, I have solved the problem adding a set of <br> at the end of the reportviewer control, however it looks ugly in IE6 or even with parameterless reports in IE7.

Friday, August 17, 2007 8:10 AM
  • Yes, it makes sense about the parameter bar -- it is something about how the elements are defined and whether the float/relative/other stuff is interpreted the same way in the two browsers. 

Once again: check your app in Firefox -- the way it interprets the styles will probably be a clue.  Also I think it's important to realize that where IE6 and IE7 differ, IE7 is usually correct.  (I'm not going to get into the religious issue of whether IE versus Firefox is correct when *they* differ <g>).

You might be able to solve it better by a surrounding div rather than a br.  You could give the div some style instructions.

>L<

Friday, August 17, 2007 2:58 PM