Database auditing to track DB Admin Changes RRS feed

• Question

• We have SQL 2008 R2 and SQL 2014 R2 databases and we have DB Admins making changes all the time, those changes are never properly documented so I am wondering if there is a way in SQL to enable auditing to track DB Admin Adds, Deletes, Modifications, etc. so we can have documented accountability.
    Thursday, August 2, 2018 2:35 PM

Answers

• We have SQL 2008 R2 and SQL 2014 R2 databases and we have DB Admins making changes all the time, those changes are never properly documented so I am wondering if there is a way in SQL to enable auditing to track DB Admin Adds, Deletes, Modifications, etc. so we can have documented accountability.
    For insert update delete you have trigger which I consider best. You also have change data tracking and database auditing. There is no simple step you have to read online documents and figure out what is best. Please also note you cannot track each and every thing.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, August 2, 2018 2:44 PM
  • Thanks, I understand we can not track everything but we need to track something. Any wiki or online documents would be very helpful if you can point me I the right direction.
    Thursday, August 2, 2018 6:37 PM
  • Thanks, I understand we can not track everything but we need to track something. Any wiki or online documents would be very helpful if you can point me I the right direction.
    Please let me know what version and edition of SQL Server you have. Please post output of select @@version. This will help me in providing correct links

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, August 3, 2018 7:22 AM

All replies

For insert update delete you have trigger which I consider best. You also have change data tracking and database auditing. There is no simple step you have to read online documents and figure out what is best. Please also note you cannot track each and every thing.

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, August 2, 2018 2:44 PM
    Thursday, August 2, 2018 6:37 PM
    Please let me know what version and edition of SQL Server you have. Please post output of select @@version. This will help me in providing correct links

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, August 3, 2018 7:22 AM
  • sql 2014 r2 and sql 2008 r2
    Friday, August 3, 2018 4:25 PM
  • sql 2014 r2 and sql 2008 r2
    Please run the query select @@version, I also want to know the edition.

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, August 3, 2018 5:56 PM
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (RTM) - 10.50.1617.0 (X64)   

Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (SP2-CU11) (KB4077063) - 12.0.5579.0 (X64)  

Friday, August 3, 2018 10:15 PM