dhcp rety time reg key RRS feed

• Question

• HI,
    I would like to know if the registry keys,
           [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\
    CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp\Parameters]
           "AutonetRetries"=dword:1
    and
           [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tcpip\Parameters]
           "AutonetRetries"=dword:1
    are used for anything other than the DHCP retry timer?
    This question specifically applies to XP operating system.  However, we will be moving to Windows 7 next year and will be interested to know the answer to my question under Windows 7 operating system too.

We currently have a condition that the DHCP server running on the router does not start until about 60 seconds after the Ethernet link comes up.
    As the result the 4 DHCP Discovery messages are not answered by the DHCP server.
    And so the Data terminal (running XP operating system) waits about 360 seconds before re-sending DHCP Discovery messages (i.e. ask for IP address) to the router.

We have found that by adding the above mentioned 2 keys, and setting them to value of 1, the retry of DHCP Discovery messages occurs in about 61 seconds.

Could you please let us know if adding the above mentioned 2 registry keys have any side effects other than decreasing the retry time for DHCP retries?
    And is there any problem with setting this value to 1 (default is 300) sec?
    Finally, can the same registry be used for Windows 7 or should we use a different mechanism?
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:25 AM

All replies