none
UDFs in Excel office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have created UDFs for desktop version of excel. Now I want to create the same in Office 365 for Excel Online because i m creating app of office 365 along with UFDs. I have gone through some documentation and found that it can be done through Javascript. The documentation given on MSDN gives example of creating one using Javascript.

Example  shows how to create UDFs for Excel Web Acess Web Part using Sharepoint services. But i want to create UDFs for Excel Online, which is apparently different form Excel Services.

Office 365 API do not cover any information about creating UDFs. So if anyone could give any idea or support on this, it would be really great.

Thanks in advance.

Bhaumik

Monday, June 16, 2014 2:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, you want to use the UDFs in Excel online. As far as I know, it may be hard to achieve your goal currently.

Firstly, as you known, there is only JavaScript user-defined functions (UDFs) which is for using in Excel Services. JavaScript UDFs could run in the browser on a webpage that has an embedded Excel workbook. It is different from Excel Web App (Excel online).

Currently, Excel online only support Task pane app and Content app, which are Apps for Office. Apps for Office could be used to extend the functionality of a spreadsheet. We could develop an App for Office resorting to JavaScript API for Office. However, there is no property or method about UDF development in JavaScript API for Office. I'm afraid Apps for Office may not help you. If you have any suggestions about Apps for Office, please feel free to submit them in User Voices.

In addition, Microsoft provides the "preview" release of the Office 365 APIs. But the features and APIs are in preview and are subjected to change. Do not use them in production. Microsoft is introducing the next step in the evolution of our Office 365 platform by delivering the "preview" release of our Office 365 APIs.

Hope it can help you.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by bhaumik2610 Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:55 PM
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, you want to use the UDFs in Excel online. As far as I know, it may be hard to achieve your goal currently.

Firstly, as you known, there is only JavaScript user-defined functions (UDFs) which is for using in Excel Services. JavaScript UDFs could run in the browser on a webpage that has an embedded Excel workbook. It is different from Excel Web App (Excel online).

Currently, Excel online only support Task pane app and Content app, which are Apps for Office. Apps for Office could be used to extend the functionality of a spreadsheet. We could develop an App for Office resorting to JavaScript API for Office. However, there is no property or method about UDF development in JavaScript API for Office. I'm afraid Apps for Office may not help you. If you have any suggestions about Apps for Office, please feel free to submit them in User Voices.

In addition, Microsoft provides the "preview" release of the Office 365 APIs. But the features and APIs are in preview and are subjected to change. Do not use them in production. Microsoft is introducing the next step in the evolution of our Office 365 platform by delivering the "preview" release of our Office 365 APIs.

Hope it can help you.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by bhaumik2610 Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:55 PM
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:35 AM
  • Hi Luna,

Thanks for answering. Many of my doubts are clear now. Now what I have known is UDFs will be possible in Excel Web using Sharepoint services which requires Sharepoint to be installed.

Anyways, thanks for the information.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:55 PM
  • Has this answer changed with the 2016 announcement?  It seems very silly to not be able to define a Javascript function that can be called as a UDF from Excel online

Sunday, November 29, 2015 7:07 PM