no bootloader interface at system start

Question

• yep, you must boot Windows 8 in all cases... choose Windows 7 on a screen that comes up just before Win8 login screen, and then reboot to Win7... that's a joke.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:43 PM

All replies

• then reinstall your old bootloader as follows:

STEP 1: insert your windows 7 recovery disk and wait for it to boot into it

STEP 2: hit "repair my computer" once the disk has booted

STEP 3: hit more options, then command prompt

STEP 4: type in command prompt: bootrec   then, type bootrec\fix MBR

STEP 5: type exit in the command prompt or click the x on it to close it

STEP 6: reboot your PC, it MIGHT boot into windows 7 by default rather then presenting you with the option to boot however, it is then when you should use a 3rd party boot manager (my personal favorite is EasyBCD) from windows once it boots

STEP 7: reboot once the boot manager settings have been applied

STEP 8: repeat steps 1-7 if unsuccessful

Hope that helped a little, the bootloader on windows 8 was made for simplicity, but, remember, this isn't the final release and that more improvements will come in time.

• Proposed as answer by Rich Prescott Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:01 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:00 PM
  • I know all this ( and btw also used EasyBCD in the past), but thx for the feedback ;) ... I was just surprised with the new Win8 bootloader interface, especially the moment when it shows up, half way between system startup and login time.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:26 PM
  • actually I still don't have any answer to my main question: how come the new Windows 8 bootloader menu doesn't come up at system startup, but much later during the boot process of Windows ?

ps: because no graphic UI is possible at system start? well Linux does just that.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:14 AM
  • okay the fastest solution is to use the option found at the bottom of the screen when the OS choice panel appears, and set Win7 as default. This will restore a classic bootloader at system startup.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:21 AM