none
Office 365 EWS: CreateItemRequest with MessageDisposition of SaveOnly does not return meeting response. RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Exchange Web Services on one of our Office 365 Mailboxes to automatically respond to incoming meeting invitations.

In some cases, our business logic requires us to reply to a meeting request with a counter-proposal message. As the EWS Managed API does not support this as of yet, our current workaround is:

- Save the response message by using the AcceptMeetingInvitationMessage.Save() method on an AcceptMeetingInvitationMessage object created by a call to the Appointment.CreateAcceptMessage method - which equates to an EWS call to CreateItem with an AcceptItem as the item to create and MessageDisposition set to SaveOnly.
    - Reload the saved item as returned by the MeetingResponse-Property of the CalendarActionResults object returned by .Save() - which equates to the MeetingResponse item returned as part of the CreateItemResponseMessage in EWS.
    - Set the properties required for the counter-proposal on the item manually and sending it.

This works perfectly on all of our on-premises Exchange instances. However, accessing Office 365 via EWS, the CreateItemResponse returned by the CreateItem request only returns the CalendarItem the meeting request pertains to. It does not return the MeetingResponse, which renders the workflow described above impossible.

As I understand, EWS is supposed to be backwards-compatible with older versions, which brings me to the conclusion that the behavior described above might be a bug in the Office 365 implementation of EWS, as the same type of request under the same conditions does not yield the same result on our on-premises servers as it does with Office 365.

Is this a bug in Office 365? I have already contacted Office 365 support - however, the reply was unfortunately less than helpful.

Thanks!
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 11:27 AM

All replies

• Are you versioning your requests ? with calendaring you generally want to make sure your have set requested server versioned correctly. One of the new features that was added in Exchange 2013 CU was the ability to Propose new meeting times https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/dn495613(v=exchg.150).aspx which is probably the reason you may see a different behaviour.

Cheers
    Glen

Monday, December 21, 2015 6:04 AM
  • Hi Glen,

sorry for the late reply - I was out of the office and on chrismas vacation starting december 18th.

I am requesting the latest version of Exchange Server that works in our on-premises setup, which is Exchange2013_SP1, but I have also tried various other versions with the same results.

I am aware of the new proposal feature in Exchange 2013 EWS. However, sadly, the EWS Managed API does not provide a wrapper for this feature the time. We could of course create the request in question manually, but as our entire application thus far is build upon EWS, I would rather not build a completely separate implementation for use in just a single operation.

Disregarding my actual use case (proposing a new meeting time), I still feel like I should be able to save a reply message instead of sending it (I would reckon there are a number of other uses for this as well), even more so as it works perfectly on all other EWS implementations.

Sadly, Office365 support was less than helpful (apparently, the "Developer" support category is not for development questions). Do you agree that this might be an actual bug in the current Office 365 EWS implementation or am I overlooking something else?

If you agree this might be a bug, what is the best way to report this? Office 365 Support won't help, and as far as I can see, Office 365 / EWS is not represented on Connect.

Cheers,
    Philip

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 2:46 PM
  • >>Do you agree that this might be an actual bug in the current Office 365 EWS implementation or am I overlooking something else?

Its a hard one to call a bug maybe it falls more into the category as a breaking a change, as the method your using is a workaround its a longer straw to draw eg if its a bug they would be asking what's the impact etc to prioritize how and when to fix it. In this case you can easily use another work around like just creating the response yourself manually using CreateItem and setting all the appropriate properties, or a better method would be to use the provided API method which would be the supported way of doing it (the EWS Managed API is open source https://github.com/OfficeDev/ews-managed-api so you can add what you need into it).

>>If you agree this might be a bug, what is the best way to report this? Office 365 Support won't help, and as far as I can see, Office 365 / EWS is not represented on Connect.

As far as I know connect doesn't support logging bugs for Exchange I've always logged them via Microsoft support (you need strong evidence and reproduction etc and if accepted depending on the bug it can a considerable amount of time before you see a fix).

Cheers
    Glen

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 5:20 AM
  • Hi Glen,

thanks a lot, I was sort of hoping for the issue to be recognized as a bug because I see some other legitimate uses for saving a meeting response without sending it (other than my workaround), but I see how it could rather be considered a breaking change and take quite a while to fix if TPTB decide to fix it at all.

We have a few other avenues with Microsoft Support we're exploring right now, but if none of them leads to a result, we'll look into modifying the EWS Managed API to support the new "official" proposal feature (we'll have to invoice the efforts involved in this to our client, which is what I'm currently trying to avoid).

Thanks a lot!

Cheers
    Philip

• Edited by philipheber Monday, January 25, 2016 9:47 AM
    Monday, January 18, 2016 11:22 AM