How to generate 64 bit executables with visual basic .net? RRS feed

• Question

• We have code that was created in visual basic 6. Now we have a new itanium 64 bit machine, and want to take the old code and generate 64 bit executables that will run on the ia64 machine. The question i have is what is the easiest way on doing that? From what i see on the forum it looks like i have to take the project generated with visual basic 6 and convert it to .net 2005 edition, and than using the .net framework 2 beta will create 64 bit executables.
    Is this the way to go? Is .net 2003 edition capable of generating 64 bit executables?

Thank you...Smile
    Tuesday, July 19, 2005 6:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You are correct moving to Visual Basic 2005 would be the easiest way to generate a 64-bit executable in your case. VS.NET 2003 is not capable of creating 64-bit a .EXE since .NET v1.1 is not 64-bit

Regards,
    Vikram
    Tuesday, July 19, 2005 7:15 PM
  •  danb2005 wrote:
    We have code that was created in visual basic 6. Now we have a new itanium 64 bit machine, and want to take the old code and generate 64 bit executables that will run on the ia64 machine.
    Are you sure you need to convert your program to 64-bit?  Unless you need to take advantage of the IA-64 architecture, you could just run your code as a 32-bit process under WOW64.
    The question i have is what is the easiest way on doing that? From what i see on the forum it looks like i have to take the project generated with visual basic 6 and convert it to .net 2005 edition
    I don't do much VB but several bloggers have observed that converting VB6 to VB.NET is not trivial.  Some have described it as a complete re-write almost to a different language.
    Is .net 2003 edition capable of generating 64 bit executables?
    No.  The 1.1 framework can be installed on 64-bit operating systems but managed code runs as a 32-bit process under WOW64
    Wednesday, July 20, 2005 12:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You are correct moving to Visual Basic 2005 would be the easiest way to generate a 64-bit executable in your case. VS.NET 2003 is not capable of creating 64-bit a .EXE since .NET v1.1 is not 64-bit

Regards,
    Vikram
    Tuesday, July 19, 2005 7:15 PM
  •  danb2005 wrote:
    We have code that was created in visual basic 6. Now we have a new itanium 64 bit machine, and want to take the old code and generate 64 bit executables that will run on the ia64 machine.
    Are you sure you need to convert your program to 64-bit?  Unless you need to take advantage of the IA-64 architecture, you could just run your code as a 32-bit process under WOW64.
    The question i have is what is the easiest way on doing that? From what i see on the forum it looks like i have to take the project generated with visual basic 6 and convert it to .net 2005 edition
    I don't do much VB but several bloggers have observed that converting VB6 to VB.NET is not trivial.  Some have described it as a complete re-write almost to a different language.
    Is .net 2003 edition capable of generating 64 bit executables?
    No.  The 1.1 framework can be installed on 64-bit operating systems but managed code runs as a 32-bit process under WOW64
    Wednesday, July 20, 2005 12:53 AM
  • Thank you!
    Smile
    Wednesday, July 20, 2005 1:19 PM
  • Thank you!
    Smile
    Wednesday, July 20, 2005 1:20 PM