Optional Authorization - How to set CheckedFirstTime / DisplayFirstTime flag RRS feed

• Question

• I am refering to the documentation about the optional documentataion in MSDN in the link below

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/healthvault/cc539985.aspx

It mentions the following (quoted below in italics)

For the first-time auth—the auth that the user currently sees—optional types can behave in three different ways:

• By default, an optional data type is not listed on the authorization page.
    • If the developer sets the DisplayFirstTime flag, the optional authorization is displayed to the user. This gives the user the opportunity to expand their authorization if they know at the outset that they want to use more than the basic features.
    • If the developer sets the CheckedFirstTime flag, the optional authorization is displayed to the user and it is checked. This encourages the user to grant the optional authorization, but indicates that the application can still function without it.

I couldnt find any way to set the DisplayFirstTime/CheckedFirstTime flag.   Is it done at the config site (where I dont see any options for this)  or done as a part of the shell redirect url?

Thanks

Raj HealthVault Developer Tool http://xray.getrealconsulting.com
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:00 AM

Answers

• It appears like this may be an internal detail available at the platform level but not exposed at the UI (app config center) level.  Our docs certainly aren't clear on this point.

There's still an email thread internally discussing this.  For now, it appears possible this may not be surfaced where partners can access it directly.

Are there particular scenarios that are blocked or issues you're running into with this, or is the question more general/informational?  We just want to make sure there isn't a pressing blocked problem involved.

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 8:13 PM
  • Working on it-- getting all the pieces together is taking some time.  Apologies for the long delay.

As best I can tell right now, these properties/flags are available in the application configuration XML, but don't appear to be exposed at the UI level in the app config center. 

Regarding the flags at the XML layer:

The flags are part of the online or offline auth rule xml.  In the example below, 3 translates to bits 011 – shown first time and checked.  Display flags can take values 1-7.

<auth><rules><rule name="test" is-optional="true">
    <reason>Allow test to upload blood glucose measurements to your record.</reason>
    <display-flags>3</display-flags>
    <permission>Create</permission><target-set><type-id>879e7c04-4e8a-4707-9ad3-b054df467ce4</type-id></target-set></rule></auth>

Monday, August 24, 2009 9:29 PM
  • Certainly-- our admin tools allow us to edit the config XML directly, so I believe we should be able the set display flags for you in PPE (given the app ID), and they'll be included with the rest of your app config when we take your app to production or update your production app.  Just contact me directly with the app ID and desired display flags, and I can take care of it.
    • Marked as answer by Rajesh CKR Monday, August 24, 2009 11:03 PM
    Monday, August 24, 2009 10:44 PM

All replies

• I'm following up with the team internally now-- should have an answer shortly.  It does appear unclear to me on that page.  Thanks for your patience-

Friday, July 31, 2009 9:01 PM
  • It appears like this may be an internal detail available at the platform level but not exposed at the UI (app config center) level.  Our docs certainly aren't clear on this point.

There's still an email thread internally discussing this.  For now, it appears possible this may not be surfaced where partners can access it directly.

Are there particular scenarios that are blocked or issues you're running into with this, or is the question more general/informational?  We just want to make sure there isn't a pressing blocked problem involved.

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 8:13 PM
  • We do have a scenario in where this feature was planned to be leveraged.  We are developing the next version for an existing application which currently uses online access.

What we are trying to accomplish the following after adding optional offline rules to the application id configuration.

a.  Existing users should be able to use the application without having to reauthorize it again (they wont be able to take advantage of offline access based features). This works fine currently since the additional rules added are optional.
    b.  When a new user does APPAUTH,  we need him ideally to authorize BOTH online and offline - We wanted to display the optional rules and the check-boxes for the optional offline access rules to be in checked state by default. Yes, it is ok if the user unchecks it while approving - but it needs to be checked by default.
    c.  When an existing user goes thru the journey of approving the optional offline auth, we need the check boxes to be checked by default.

The feature described in the documentation, if available will handle these use cases (the way I understand it). 

Do you know when these would be exposed?
    Is there a way we can request you to enable these features "manually/internally" for a given application id - so that we dont have to wait until it is released/exposed?
    Any other workarounds for achieving identical Ux?

Thursday, August 6, 2009 6:38 AM
  • Working on it-- getting all the pieces together is taking some time.  Apologies for the long delay.

As best I can tell right now, these properties/flags are available in the application configuration XML, but don't appear to be exposed at the UI level in the app config center. 

Regarding the flags at the XML layer:

The flags are part of the online or offline auth rule xml.  In the example below, 3 translates to bits 011 – shown first time and checked.  Display flags can take values 1-7.

<auth><rules><rule name="test" is-optional="true">
    <reason>Allow test to upload blood glucose measurements to your record.</reason>
    <display-flags>3</display-flags>
    <permission>Create</permission><target-set><type-id>879e7c04-4e8a-4707-9ad3-b054df467ce4</type-id></target-set></rule></auth>

Monday, August 24, 2009 9:29 PM
  • Thanks for the response. 

Until this feature is exposed in application configuration,  could we request MSFT to set the display-values for an application id to a specific value?

Monday, August 24, 2009 9:52 PM
  • Certainly-- our admin tools allow us to edit the config XML directly, so I believe we should be able the set display flags for you in PPE (given the app ID), and they'll be included with the rest of your app config when we take your app to production or update your production app.  Just contact me directly with the app ID and desired display flags, and I can take care of it.
    • Marked as answer by Rajesh CKR Monday, August 24, 2009 11:03 PM
    Monday, August 24, 2009 10:44 PM