Open extention vsix file RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded NuGet.Tools.vsix file and save on my download folder using Windows 7 Home edition.

Windows 7 shows it is Visual Studio file. I wanted to open the file and double clcik but I got "The exrtention is not installable on any current installed program"

I tried to use Visual Studio 2010 to open the file, it shows binary file neither read nor run the file.

Your help is great appreciated,

Inung  

Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:34 PM

Answers

• I know nothing about Embarcardero, but if they are building something on the isolated shell, and the extension in question is not marked as being runnable on the isolated shell, then it won't install, by design. 

You would need to check with the NuGet folks (here?) about whether their extension is marked as being runnable in isolated shell applications.

Ryan

• Marked as answer by sourises Saturday, August 13, 2011 12:07 PM
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 3:02 AM

All replies

• What version of Visual Studio is this?  If it is Express then it is due to the fact that Express is not extensible.

Ryan

Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:42 PM
  • I use Visual Studio Shell version.

Inung

Friday, August 12, 2011 7:16 PM
  • What do you mean 'shell version'?  Do you mean the isolated shell?  I believe that extensions must specify they are usable in the isolated shell, if they do not then they will not be installable.

Ryan

Friday, August 12, 2011 7:29 PM
  • I use Delphi Prism, Embarcardero use Visual Studio to host Delphi Prism.

Thanks again,

Inung 

Saturday, August 13, 2011 2:44 AM
  • I know nothing about Embarcardero, but if they are building something on the isolated shell, and the extension in question is not marked as being runnable on the isolated shell, then it won't install, by design. 

You would need to check with the NuGet folks (here?) about whether their extension is marked as being runnable in isolated shell applications.

Ryan

• Marked as answer by sourises Saturday, August 13, 2011 12:07 PM
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 3:02 AM