none
Windows Authentication fails when connecting to sql 2008r2 from VS 2012 VB RRS feed

• Question

• Authorization fails for [ServerName]\Guest. Not really had this problem before I had to re-image the server due to a Microsoft Installer failure. After re-imaging the operating system, and a new installation of Sql Server 2008r2, I created a database in SSMS, and, I can connect fine from the server when logged in as the Administrator using SSMS. On a network computer where I have VS2012, I cannot connect to the database using Server Explorer. In SQL Configuration Manager, I believe everything is set up correctly. (The nature of the error message suggests that I'm connecting to the server, but authorization is not granted.) Any suggestions. I began development using VS2010, however, something must have changed. The only clue I have comes from the Sql Server Error Log that suggests an "infrastructure error" for the client logging on. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    • Moved by Bob Beauchemin Monday, December 22, 2014 11:13 PM Moved to forum for client-side SqlClient questions for best results
    Monday, December 22, 2014 7:15 PM

Answers

• I don't have the AD role running. I'm running on a local area network server, 2008r2. I dropped all the users, set the default database back to master, put back the users as dbo with access to the database instance. I could be wrong here, but I thought you could set the default in master-login. Seems to work so far. I'm just guessing here, but it seems to have registered the correct SQL client protocol to that of Visual Studio 2012. Would love to know the answer. Have not checked to see if any updates may have fixed the issue, and what I did was just a coincidence.

• Marked as answer by fmpeck Wednesday, December 24, 2014 2:08 AM
    Monday, December 22, 2014 11:48 PM

All replies

• This message "infrastructure error" often indicates a mismatch between SQL Server and the AD. Try dropping the login and readding it. (In SQL Server, that is.)

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Monday, December 22, 2014 10:13 PM
  • I don't have the AD role running. I'm running on a local area network server, 2008r2. I dropped all the users, set the default database back to master, put back the users as dbo with access to the database instance. I could be wrong here, but I thought you could set the default in master-login. Seems to work so far. I'm just guessing here, but it seems to have registered the correct SQL client protocol to that of Visual Studio 2012. Would love to know the answer. Have not checked to see if any updates may have fixed the issue, and what I did was just a coincidence.

• Marked as answer by fmpeck Wednesday, December 24, 2014 2:08 AM
    Monday, December 22, 2014 11:48 PM