Why can't a child record row layout automatically create a new child like a child grid layout? RRS feed

• Question

• Why doesn't a row layout permit data entry like a grid layout without requiring a command bar and the + change delete icons?

I'm new to LightSwitch, but am surprised at this anomoly.  Hopefully, I'm just overlooking something. 

I have a two tables;

Parent table is Person

Child table is Address

There is a 1:m relationship between parent and child

I created a Lightswitch List-Details screen which contains the following

1.  A list of PERSONS

2.  A row layout of selected PERSON details

3.  A grid layout of ADDRESS details for selected PERSON

When I click on + in the list column,

I can enter information for a new person AND AT THE SAME TIME enter information into the grid of address information WITHOUT clicking the + at the top of the address grid.

Recognizing, that most people have just one address, I am trying to change this display as follows:

1.  List of PERSONS

2.   Row layout of selected PERSON details

3.   ROW layout of ADDRESS details for the selected person.

My plan is to put a button called MORE on the ADDRESS row layout, that when clicked, would display multiple address in grid on a modal screen.

This is similar to the approach approach is used by SAP to minimize screen clutter.

i have attached two screen shots

1.  My screen definition

2.  My screen form -- Note that in a grid layout, I can enter address details but in a row layout I can not.  The row text boxes are all grayed out and not ready for data entry.

I am trying to avoid creating separate tabs for addresses, emails address, etc. where these all have a 1:m relationship to a parent PERSON.

Thanks,

Bob McGaffic

Friday, September 7, 2012 1:03 PM

Answers

• It seems not to be textbox but textblock in your row layout:

Please refer to the image below:

Please directly drag the Selected Item to the Screen.

Hope helpful.

• Marked as answer by Otomii Lu Monday, September 17, 2012 2:54 AM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 5:39 AM

All replies

• Sorry for the klutzy title to this issue.

My question is: How to make a row layout behave similar to a grid layout when creating a child record for a parent.

Bob McGaffic
    Pittsburgh

Friday, September 7, 2012 4:49 PM
  • I apologize for this double posting, but I"ve struggled with a title that best describes the issue.

What do I have to do to create a child record automatically when a row layout is used? 

I can create a child record automatically only if I use a grid layout.  

In the screen print below, note that when a grid layout is used, a child record is automatically available for input, while when a row layout is used, the fields are grayed out and unavailable for entry.

Is there a workaround for this problem?

I have a two tables;

Parent table is Person

Child table is Address

There is a 1:m relationship between parent and child

I created a Lightswitch List-Details screen which contains the following

1.  A list of PERSONS

2.  A row layout of selected PERSON details

3.  A grid layout of ADDRESS details for selected PERSON

When I click on + in the list column,

I can enter information for a new person AND AT THE SAME TIME enter information into the grid of address information WITHOUT clicking the + at the top of the address grid.

Recognizing, that most people have just one address, I am trying to change this display as follows:

1.  List of PERSONS

2.   Row layout of selected PERSON details

3.   ROW layout of ADDRESS details for the selected person.

My plan is to put a button called MORE on the ADDRESS row layout, that when clicked, would display multiple address in grid on a modal screen.

This is similar to the approach approach is used by SAP to minimize screen clutter.

i have attached two screen shots

1.  My screen definition

2.  My screen form -- Note that in a grid layout, I can enter address details but in a row layout I can not.  The row text boxes are all grayed out and not ready for data entry.

I am trying to avoid creating separate tabs for addresses, emails address, etc. where these all have a 1:m relationship to a parent PERSON.

Thanks,

Bob McGaffic

<input id="4e74d424-72ab-44df-a0e6-e10c00705d4b_attachments" type="hidden" value="163069,163074" />

All Replies           

• 54 minutes ago
      Pittsburgh Bob

Pittsburgh Bob

0 Points100
      Recent Achievements
      First Forums Reply
      0 Points

Sorry for the klutzy title to this issue.

My question is: How to make a row layout behave similar to a grid layout when creating a child record for a parent.

Bob McGaffic
      Pittsburgh

<input id="cd1c7178-8c2d-4f53-a19f-dae0b2b831b0_attachments" type="hidden" value="" />

• Merged by Otomii Lu Monday, September 10, 2012 6:47 AM Duplex
    Friday, September 7, 2012 5:53 PM
  • Just one observation:

What I am trying to do with LightSwitch is easily accomplished with Microsoft Access 2010 using subforms.

My hope is that LightSwitch at least offers the capabilites of MS Access, else why switch? 

Bob McGaffic
    Pittsburgh, PA

Friday, September 7, 2012 8:05 PM
  • It seems not to be textbox but textblock in your row layout:

Please refer to the image below:

Please directly drag the Selected Item to the Screen.

Hope helpful.

• Marked as answer by Otomii Lu Monday, September 17, 2012 2:54 AM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 5:39 AM