none
Where is the template for outlook add-in/mail apps using javascript in Visual Studio 2013? RRS feed

• Question

• According to a few sources, I am supposed to be able to pick a office/sharepoint template for a outlook 2013 add-in in javascript... but I can't find such a template. I have for C# and VB, but not for Javscript. I've run a repair of the latest update, but no diff.

Ref: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/fp142159(v=office.15).aspx

My fallback at the moment is this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/fp161148(v=office.15).aspx

But since there are supposed to be templates, it would be nice to be able to access them....

Monday, November 10, 2014 4:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Marko,

Add-ins and Apss are different things. It looks like you need to install Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2013 .

Office Add-in templates are included in the paid editions of Visual Studio 2012/2013 out of the box.

Also I'd recommend installing the Update 3 for Visual Studio 2013 .

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 11:20 AM
  • I already have Update 3 for Visual Studio 2013 and the Office Developer Tools installed. If I run the installer for office developer tools it says it has 0 items to install, and if I run the update 3 installation again, it wants to run the repair. Which I've also done. Which did nothing.
    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 11:49 AM
  • The templates are under File -> New -> Project -> Office/SharePoint -> Apps
    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9:50 PM
  • Sorry, but that "path" isn't available in the New Project dialogue.

"Office/Sharepoint" isn't available directly under the Templates root nor under the "Other Project Types" category.

That node is only available under Visual Basic and Visual C#. I'm looking for the javascript version and not C# or VB.

Thursday, November 13, 2014 7:31 AM
  • Marko,

Check out the following path:

Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:18 AM
  • That's C#... like I said, I want the javascript version.
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:50 AM
  • There is no C# Apps, only JavaScript.
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 12:05 PM
  • Thanks, then that's the problem then. It shouldn't appear under "Visual C#" and instead show up under "Javascript".

Thursday, November 13, 2014 12:10 PM
  • Hi Marko,

The template that Eugene pointed out is correct. The template is located under C#/VB because it creates a web project at the same time for your apps for Office, which requires to be in C# or VB project flavor. You certainly can write JavaScript in a C#/VB web project, while the web project also gives you the capability to build server-side logic if you want. 

That said, I definitely can see your confusion when you only want the JavaScript capability. I'll take your feedback to my team and see how we can make this experience better.

If you have any comments about the Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks!

Xiaoying

Xiaoying is a program manager in Microsoft Visual Studio Office Developer Tools team | This post is provided "as-is"

Thursday, November 13, 2014 6:55 PM