none
Identify migrated items programmatically after update from Exchange 2003 to 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

we have been using the Exchange 2003 WebDAV interface for some external applications that read and write items to and from Exchange. Until now, we have referenced these items by their URL path to the EML element for accessing them via WebDAV.

Our client will migrate to Exchange 2010 soon. After migrating a test mailbox, we have noticed that the EML "file name" of the migrated elements is available in the PR_URL_COMP_NAME field. This information is accessible via the new Exchange Explorer equivalent for Exchange 2010.

After the migration, I need to identify the elements we have created in Exchange. All I have is the WebDAV EML path. With Exchange Web Services, I can find my way to the calendar folder but how do I continue from there?

Is the PR_URL_COMP_NAME available to the FindItem web service method? If not, how can I identify and relocate the items I have created on the 2003 version if I only have the WebDAV path and the .EML file name?

Thanks for helping.

Ralph

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 6:07 PM

All replies

• My suggestion would be that you create your own custom property and add that to all the items which you need to track as those property wont be available on Exchange 2010 as DAV is no longer a part of Exchange 2010. You should try to do this before the migration as after you have migrated it will be very difficult to try and reconcile the data you have.

Cheers
    Glen

Friday, July 8, 2011 2:56 AM
  • Hi Glen,

thanks for your reply. I am fully aware of the fact that DAV is no longer available in Exchange 2010.

I won't have a chance to modify all the items before the upgrade but I do know that PR_URL_COMP_NAME is present in Exchange 2010 for migrated items and that it contains their former .EML file name which was accessible to me in Exchange 2003.

Now all I need to know is if I can issue a web service query for that very property. Any chance to do so?

Thanks.

Ralph

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:00 AM
  • PR_URL_COMP_NAME isn't set on 2010 (eg when you create a new message or recieve an email etc) depending on how the email is migrated that property may get migrated as is but i woudn't rely on this so you will need to firstly test this in your migration pilot (if you have one). If the property is migrated you can get the value using EWS just using a normal extended property methods.

Cheers
    Glen 

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:52 AM