none
Echo cancellation with SDK 1.6 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

According to the documentation for the 1.6 Kinect for Windows SDK (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/develop/release-notes.aspx):

• Echo cancellation will now recognize the system default speaker and attempt to cancel the noise coming from it automatically, if enabled.

How is this supposed to work? I tried setting 

source.EchoCancellationMode = EchoCancellationMode.CancellationAndSuppression;

But that had no apparent effect -- the Kinect still heard all of the synthesised speech sent through the system speakers. Is there something else to set? All I could find was old documentation that used other methods and talked about needing to play sound constantly for this to work.

Thanks for any pointers!

MEF

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:27 PM

Answers

• AEC has a bunch of compatibility issues, that's why they said "attempt". For my app I have it turned off by default until the SDK can support more setups, such as digital audio out and multi-channel. But that is the correct setting to use...
    • Proposed as answer by ChrisCicc Monday, March 18, 2013 9:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mary Ellen Foster Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:52 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 9:07 PM

All replies

• AEC has a bunch of compatibility issues, that's why they said "attempt". For my app I have it turned off by default until the SDK can support more setups, such as digital audio out and multi-channel. But that is the correct setting to use...
    • Proposed as answer by ChrisCicc Monday, March 18, 2013 9:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mary Ellen Foster Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:52 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 9:07 PM
  • Good to know that we weren't doing anything wrong. Annoying, though; it would be REALLY nice to have this "just work". Hopefully in an update.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:53 PM