3rd party Metro IME in WindowsRT

Question

• I'm considering updating a IME to support Metro in Windows 8, but I can't tell from the documentation if I'll be able to do either of the following:

1) target ARM devices (windows RT)

2) ship my IME in the Windows store?

Does anybody know if either of these are possible/documented?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:19 PM

Answers

• Thanks for pointing out this contradiction in the doc's. I have notified these teams (Store and IME team) to get clarification on this message in the documentation. I am unaware of any changes to the Store distribution policies that were communicated in the initial announcement.

The IME team has more detail to be released on this topic including the sample IME. There is not a test app available at this time.

David Lamb

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Wednesday, July 04, 2012 7:15 AM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 3:49 PM

All replies

•  

Hello,

I think this document can help you

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh967425.aspx

For the section question.

When you package your IME, its DLLs need to pack with the Test App in order to go through the certification process for being listed in the Windows Store.

The Test App is an executable that an IME runs to test basic functionality of the IME. The Test App checks whether the IME is a TSF-based IME. You can customize the Test App to add more functionality. The Test App is installed as a Desktop app with the IME DLLs.

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:14 AM
  • Thanks Jesse, unfortunately that doesn't really answer the question:

>> The Test App is installed as a Desktop app with the IME DLLs

As far as I am aware a desktop app can be listed on but not distributed using the Windows Store. I thought that on metro apps can be distributed using the Windows store. And only Metro apps can be installed on Windows RT. Do you know if an IME is a special exception to this?

Also I can't find any info on the test app - is there a sample that includes it?

Thanks...

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Thanks for pointing out this contradiction in the doc's. I have notified these teams (Store and IME team) to get clarification on this message in the documentation. I am unaware of any changes to the Store distribution policies that were communicated in the initial announcement.

The IME team has more detail to be released on this topic including the sample IME. There is not a test app available at this time.

David Lamb

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Wednesday, July 04, 2012 7:15 AM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Hi there,

I'm looking for a sample IME source code for Windows RT Metro. Is it available? I would like to develop a virtual keyboard for my new Windows RT tablet, and I'm looking for an example to start.

Thanks,

Davide

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:41 PM
  • I am searching intensively information about third party IME development for Windows RT but found none. Please kindly share if you have any knowledge about it. Thank you very much.

Nguyễn Trọng Dũng

Thursday, December 27, 2012 1:55 AM