Localization - Full list of Languages RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to localize my app.

I put my strings in a .json (and .resjson) file.

I wrote another app to help in the process. The app does XHR to this URL to translate all my words from english to any other language.
    var url = 'http://translate.google.com/translate_a/t?client=t&text=' + encodeURIComponent(englishWord) + '&hl=en&sl=en&tl=' + toLanguage + '&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&multires=1&otf=2&ssel=0&tsel=4&sc=1';

Now I just need a list of all the languages.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 3:28 PM

Answers

• I would seriously only use a small set of languages to start out. When you submit the app to the store, for every language that you've included in your app, it is going to make you provide all of the descriptions, features and screenshots in that native language. It will take you forever to do the submission if you include all 100+ languages.

Also, the Multilingual App Toolkit makes this a lot easier. You just have to create your resjson file and the toolkit builds the languages you choose from a list. NOTE: The toolkit download was updated a couple weeks ago to work with the release version of VS2012, even though the web site still makes it seem like the old preview version.

Hope this helps...

Rob

• Marked as answer by Cobra Tap Sunday, September 30, 2012 6:32 AM
    Saturday, September 29, 2012 6:53 PM

All replies

• I would seriously only use a small set of languages to start out. When you submit the app to the store, for every language that you've included in your app, it is going to make you provide all of the descriptions, features and screenshots in that native language. It will take you forever to do the submission if you include all 100+ languages.

Also, the Multilingual App Toolkit makes this a lot easier. You just have to create your resjson file and the toolkit builds the languages you choose from a list. NOTE: The toolkit download was updated a couple weeks ago to work with the release version of VS2012, even though the web site still makes it seem like the old preview version.

Hope this helps...

Rob

• Marked as answer by Cobra Tap Sunday, September 30, 2012 6:32 AM
    Saturday, September 29, 2012 6:53 PM
  • If you did look at using the toolkit, I just wanted to let you know that a new version of the Multilingual App Toolkit has been released.  The version is v1.1.1075.0 as displayed in the VS IDE Extensions and Updates dialog.   Thanks.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 5:50 PM