Multiple versions of Office? RRS feed

• Question

• I am just looking to gather a little information. I have a user who is having trouble running a VSTO (excel workbook) project I've created. I have this project running fine on other machines. The user has the prereqs to run the project on her machine (VSTO Runtime, PIAs, and permissions have been added). The one thing that I'm curious about is that the user has two versions of Office installed on her machine Office XP and Office 2003. Could this cause any potential problems? I have read that having Office 03 and Office 07 installed side by side can be problematic, and wanted to know if this is true for any other versions of Office. I appreciate any insight that anyone could give me.

Monday, April 7, 2008 5:53 PM

Answers

• From what I've seen, and Microsoft support confirmed, it is possible for the application to get confused between the 2 versions of PIA's and things don't work correctly.  Since VS2008 bundles the PIA's into the install, it alleviates the issue as well as the CASPOL issues.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 2:42 PM

All replies

• Yes, this does cause issues.  I used one of my MSDN support cases on this very issue, and the only way I was able to resolve it was by compiling the add-in using VS2008 which has it's PIA's built in.  
    Monday, April 7, 2008 8:23 PM
  • Thanks for the response, So if i understand correctly, the PIAs for two versions of Office, in this case Office XP and Office 03, can not coexist on the same machine. Is that right?

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 12:52 PM
  • From what I've seen, and Microsoft support confirmed, it is possible for the application to get confused between the 2 versions of PIA's and things don't work correctly.  Since VS2008 bundles the PIA's into the install, it alleviates the issue as well as the CASPOL issues.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 2:42 PM