none
SharePoint 2013 task item - how to get metadata from the separate task list into the main document set list

Question

• Hi,

This is confusing, I know. 

I have a 2013 workflow.  It creates three (3) serial tasks.  If the first is approved, the second gets created. If the second is approved, the third gets created.  Essentially, three approval levels.  It is serial not parallel and the users don't want parallel.

The tasks are created in a separate list. I want to write the task ID to the document set list for each of the three tasks. I need some unique identifier to get this to work right.  I've been trying to use the workflow instance id, but because there's three possible tasks, I think it's getting confused because it's not "unique" per se.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thanks! Patti N.

Monday, February 06, 2017 10:12 PM

Answers

• So here's what the problem was. When you assign a task (2013) in a workflow, it creates a "TaskID" that is stored in a variable.  That TaskID is the GUID of the task in the task list. I didn't realize that until today.  One I set it up to match those two fields together, I was able to pull information into the email from the task list.  Magic!

Thanks! Patti N.

• Marked as answer by Naccarati Monday, February 13, 2017 3:38 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2017 9:49 PM
  • Hi Patti,

Yes, the TaskID which generate when add “assign a  task” action is the GUID of relevant task in the task list.

If your issue is solved, please remember to mark the reply as an answer if it helps.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 13, 2017 10:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Patti,

From your description, I recommend you using “assign a task” action to get TaskID.

You can create a workflow as below:

Then you can create item in the list with the three different Task IDs.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by croute1 Tuesday, February 07, 2017 1:21 PM
    Tuesday, February 07, 2017 9:29 AM
  • Hi Grace Wang.

I am using three tasks in the workflow.  the problem I'm having is getting information, the Update Notes field content, out of the task list and into the email that gets send from the workflow that runs on the document set.  This is the error message I get:

The lookup you defined is not guaranteed to return a single value

What ties the two lists together?

Thanks! Patti N.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 3:53 PM
  • Also, how did you get the "go" to work in an If statement.  SharePoint Designer 2013 won't let me do that.

Thanks! Patti N.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 3:54 PM
  • Hi Patti,

How did you create the tasks in a separate list? Why do you want to write the task ID to the document set list?

Per my test , when I create a Start Approval Process with three users, I can only get the last task ID.

As an suggestion, start Approval process with users one by one:

To capture task ID for approval task in SharePoint Designer, refer to the following blog:

http://riedoh.blogspot.sg/2011/07/capture-task-id-for-approval-task.html

Please offer a screenshot about your workflow steps. And the screenshot of settings which cause you to get the error as you provide.

If you don’t have permission to upload picture, upload the picture in OneDrive and share the URL with US.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Wednesday, February 08, 2017 10:27 AM
  • Here are the three stages that assign the 2013 workflow task serially.

I think I should be able to use the Task ID that SharePoint generates to do the "join" between the two lists. 

Thanks! Patti N.

• Edited by Naccarati Thursday, February 09, 2017 7:04 PM
    Thursday, February 09, 2017 7:02 PM
  • Hi Patti,

According to the workflow steps you provide, I have something unclearly and please provide the information below:

Which list do the three stages workflow run on? Which is the task list?

Whether you want to create a new workflow in document set list to get TaskID which generate in “Assign a task” action?

Besides, if you want to write the TaskID to a list, try to use “create list item” action:

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Friday, February 10, 2017 7:30 AM
  • So here's what the problem was. When you assign a task (2013) in a workflow, it creates a "TaskID" that is stored in a variable.  That TaskID is the GUID of the task in the task list. I didn't realize that until today.  One I set it up to match those two fields together, I was able to pull information into the email from the task list.  Magic!

Thanks! Patti N.

Friday, February 10, 2017 9:49 PM
  • Hi Patti,

Yes, the TaskID which generate when add “assign a  task” action is the GUID of relevant task in the task list.

If your issue is solved, please remember to mark the reply as an answer if it helps.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Monday, February 13, 2017 10:24 AM