none
ClickOnce Automatic Updates not working for Excel Project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I created a VS-2012 project which is an Excel 2010 workbook with a VB macro.  The workbook has a button that once pressed displays a message box saying "Hello World".  That is all it does.  it is named HelloWorld.xlsm.

I have signed it with a legitimate code digital certificate.  In the "Updates..." option of the "Publish" tab I selected "Check Every Time the Customization Runs".

My "Publishing folder location" and "Installation folder URL" are exactly the same and look like "http://myserver.com/myapp/"

The VS-2012 publishing process seems to do its job and puts the spreadsheet at http://myserver.com/myapp/HelloWorld.xlsm and there are a number of other files and directories it puts out there as I suppose is expected.

I access that URL from a test computer and download the spreadsheet to my test computer's desktop.  I double click on that copy of HelloWorld.xlsm on the desktop.  The installation runs.  Prompts me with the correct certificate information and completes successfully.  The "app" runs as expected.

Now the problem...

I go back to my development machine, change the spreadsheet, and republish it.  I go back to my test machine and double click on the version previously saved on my desktop.  My expectation is that the thing would realize that a new version is out there, update itself, and run the new version instead of the old one.

It does not happen like that.  Somehow it still runs the old version.  It does not seem to be picking up that a change is out there.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:24 PM

Answers

• Okay...

Solved, but not so much.

What gets updated automatically is the managed code.  The spreadsheet file itself and spreadsheet VB macros do not.

I suppose the best thing is to make this one as answered and pose a question that specifically deals with that aspect.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by Ed__ Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:27 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Ed_,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

It's based on my experience that you need get the new Excel file from the install folder when a new version of Excel document-level application has been publish.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:17 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Tom.

If you need to manually get the new file and the previous version of the Excel app does not give you the option to update... Wouldn't that be a bug?

If so, how would we bring it up to the attention to the right Microsoft team?

Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:23 PM
  • Okay...

Solved, but not so much.

What gets updated automatically is the managed code.  The spreadsheet file itself and spreadsheet VB macros do not.

I suppose the best thing is to make this one as answered and pose a question that specifically deals with that aspect.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by Ed__ Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:27 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:27 PM
  • Hi Ed_,

I'm glad to hear you have solved it via yourself. Thanks for sharing it here, it's very beneficial for other community members who have similar problem to see how you solved it.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, February 15, 2013 5:32 AM